Monday, August 22, 2011

Lucy finally meets Blogger

Hi all,

So now that it’s already week 6 of the semester it seems as though my first blog post is now well overdue. My work experience placement is with Student Edge. While I am sure many of you know and quite possibly reap the benefits of Student Edge, for those of you who do not know what it is, well considering you are most likely a student, knowing will benefit you! Student Edge is a company that engages membership with students and apprentices and in return offers them discounts with big brands and provides free access to some great online services. As Student Edge began in WA I am also lucky enough to get to work close by the extremely helpful and friendly founders.

At the moment I am only a few weeks in, but from the first day I arrived the Student Edge team really offered me the opportunity to get stuck in to work. While I was nervous to start my internship having little previous PR work experience, knowing that it was a fun environment settled my nerves. Once I arrived I got to meet the team and have my tour around the office. Everyone is extremely friendly and there are quite a few different interns also getting experience in their fields of study.

While I have only been there for what seems a small time so far I have done quite a few different jobs. On my first day I began with compiling the list of partners and sponsors and then comparing the deals, logos and conditions ensuring that these remained consistent on partners websites. After that I then chose winners for some of the competitions that had ended and then to finish off the day I did a bit of social media work. One of the major things that I learnt today was if you can’t work Excel then you are in trouble.

The next day included finishing off the previous spreadsheet and moving onto another – the compilation of 3 unfinished competitor analysis excel spreadsheets, again with the excel! After compiling the spreadsheets to one easy to understand version, I then began the task of assigning scores to the competitors website, membership processes and so forth. Student Edge are actually in the process of creating a new website and mobile phone application, so this spreadsheet will be used to aide in the process of finding good ideas and using them. Student Edges online presence is one of the main ways in which they communicate with the target markets and makes sales.

After that job I continued with researching, however now I was creating surveys, one was the satisfaction of partners and discounters, and one for members. This was relatively easy after a short meeting with the founders to understand what information they were looking to find. I used a program called Survey Monkey, it was very easy to use and I would definitely recommend the program.


On my third day I was once again working with an excel spreadsheet! My latest task involved researching benefit partners and doing quality assurance calls. Other than that I have been helping with account management and booking media.

All in all so far I am really enjoying my time with Student Edge and they are currently in quite an exciting stage with expansion in the works, plus new board members and talks of permanent offices being set up over east. Plus there has been a lot of spoiling, not only were there Krispy Kremes on day one, but I also just received tickets to see Friends With Benefits. I think I’m definitely going to enjoy the rest of my internship!

Lucy Zupan

14283808

No comments: