Monday, September 19, 2011

The Final Report

Hi guys and girls

I completed my placement with the Public Transport Authority during the mid-year break and am now just finishing up my final report (what an effort!). I managed to work my way through most of the topics without much trouble, but I was seriously stuck on the recommendations. I honestly believe that the PTA have fantastic PR strategies, internal communication policies and guidelines. They've had years to perfect their craft and all the people that work within corporate communications have years of experience. I came up with a couple of things I thought they could develop further, but I actually felt very uncomfortable making recommendations to such a well run organisation! Does anyone else feel the same? Who are we to make judgements on how their operations are run? I know that we shouldn't feel like that, but I can't help it. I'm worried about presenting my final report to the PTA and having them see my suggestions.

On a happier note, I just spent a week in the office of the Tuck Waldron, the Minister for Sport and Recreation, Racing and Gaming. This was a fantastic opportunity and I had a blast! Reviewing policy was really interesting (trust me, I know it sounds boring, but it actually was!) and I got to attend a CHOGM press conference with the Minister and the Premier. As a PR and Journalism student, it was really insightful just to stand back and see how the two different occupations interacted at a press conference. The Minister's media and PR officer had to prep him not only on the relevant CHOGM topics, but on all other current issues in case the media questioned him on those... and trust me they did! They hardly asked any CHOGM related questions at all!!

Anyway, I hope everyone is enjoying their placements and not getting too stressed out by the hundreds of assignments we've all got due. =(.

Cheers

Tori
13953757
Bentley

2 comments:

Ally said...

Hi Tori,

I understand what you mean by feeling bad or even finding faults to recommend. I've just finished my placement at Rio Tinto and as it's a global company there PR is amazing.
With many policies and procedures ensuring a high standard of PR and communications is met every time it's hard to fault!
I haven't got to the recommendations part of my report yet but it's definitely once section I'll need some time to think about.
Good luck with the rest of your report!
Ally
Bentley
1428 9576

Tori said...

Hi Ally

It's tough isn't it! Especially with such well run companies who have obviously invested a lot of time and energy in developing their PR policies.

I have written a paragraph at the beginning of my 'Recommendations' sections saying how difficult it was to think of suggestions for an organisation that ran so well.

Thanks and good luck to you too!

Tori