Hi everyone!
I've been so busy with my internship that it has taken me a while to post my first blog. I am currently completing my internship at Swimming WA. I have been there for a few weeks now and am really enjoying it! I am working in the Media and Promotions Departments under Daniel, the Communications Manager.
Competitive swimming is in its down season for the year, which means there arent many events currenlty being held. This is the time that Daniel has decided to focus on sponsorship and partnership opportunities. Swimming WA has recently joined forces with the Asthma Foundation WA. To announce the new partnership, I was tasked with applying skills learnt from PR classws at Curtin regarding writing media releases. My media release was to promote the partnership in a postive way to the state based media. Although it was a nerve racking task for my first day on the job, I was very pleased with the outcome. The final media release was approved by the Executive Director of Swimming WA and was distributed to the local media, and also circulated throughout internal communications such as the Department of Sport and Recreation and the WA Sports Federation. The article appeared in WA Business Newsand recieved praise from the CEO of the Asthma Foundation, David Johnson.
I really enjoyed writing this media release, because i remembered back to PR Media last semester and how the Asthma Foundation was our real life client. It was refreshing to write about something so relevant and important to the community. I have found that writing briefs in class for non profit clients has given me a real leg up as Swimming WA is a not for profit organisation.
Thanks for reading, and I'm sure to have another post up shortly :)
Hollyx
1 comment:
Hey Holly,
Congratulations on having your media release published! That’s very exciting, I'm sure it is just the beginning of an exhilarating internship.
I am halfway through my own internship and have only written one media release which was published in the local community newspaper in the eastern hills, unfortunately for me it was published under someone else’s name so I can't really take the credit!
I am finding that my skills that I learnt from PR Media are coming in handy a lot too! The past few days I have been working on a newsletter, amongst other things, which is aimed at youth so it has involved me doing a lot of formatting and using pictures and colour to try and engage the intended audience. I am grateful that we had an assignment in pr media which required us to do a newsletter because that is where I am drawing my ideas form and how I remember how to write a newsletter, otherwise I would have been completely lost!
I am also working for a not for profit organisation and there are many restrictions to overcome because we are funded by a government organisation, I’m sure you will come across a few difficulties soon and am looking forward to reading your next post when you have had more time working with swimming WA!
I hope you are enjoying your internship and look forward to your next post.
- Caitlin (Bentley)
14283109
Post a Comment