Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Organisation: my death and savior

Hi All!

This is my first blog as I have been flat out busy - given ample opportunities to take charge and initiative within my placement. Interestingly enough my placement is actually at Curtin, within the Campus and Community Life department. Of course this means I get the amazing experience of working on Curtins charity and volunteer projects that help a range of organisations within the wider community!

Firstly I was charged with organising and running 'Daffodil Day' at Curtin which ran over a three day period. I mainly want to focus on the organisational aspects of this in my first blog.

To be honest organisation of work and time is often not my strong suit - I know i can deal with people very well but I am aware that my prep can sometimes leave a lot to be desired. This is especially true as I am juggling near full time work, full time study and the placement this semester. I have found that running schedules for my personal life as well as for the daffodil day event have been incredibly useful. In meetings we've had in the office I've noticed that the running schedule and time action plan really helps me understand the long term picture and prioritise what needs to be done and when.

Daffodil Day - is mostly done in the organisational stages - calling the cancer council to arrange merchandise, speaking to the florists about delivery, creating a list of staff pre orders, creating a list of volunteers to sell, bunching and cutting the daffodils then wrapping them. Thus having a strategic running schedule helped me smoothly transition all of these various aspects.
As Kim Harrison (Strategic Public relations 3rd edition, 2003) says "the strengths of working to goals and objectives are that it lets individuals know what is expected of them."

Have any of you found yourself organising a lot more than usual??

I think in my experience so far this has been a key factor in really controlling the work that is assigned to me! It is daunting and full on, but I really am enjoying it!!

I'll post again soon

Bec Curtin
13946236

No comments: