Thursday, September 8, 2011

My Internship :)

Finding my placement was definitely no easy task but patience and perseverance indeed paid off in the end. I sent applications to many organizations but I never thought that it would be the Ministry of Education and Human Resources. It was July 21 2011 when I received a letter from the Ministry of Education and Human Resources saying that I have been selected to take part in their internship program. I was so excited that day because working for The Ministry of Education and Human Resources was a big opportunity for me as I was going to work with the Advisor in Communication matters. Studying Public Relations at Curtin University (Charles Telfair Institute), I felt that gaining a PR internship was key to building a successful career. Achieving not only an internship position, but one at such a prominent organization, was extremely exciting.

Starting My Internship Experience

I entered the program in July 25th 2011. I met my supervisor who seemed fantastic. He had created a motivating list of tasks and assignments that I would complete during the internship. These would include:

· Helping in drafting the speeches of the Minister

· Review speeches sent by organization/ authorities

· Drafting article/ media releases

· Press cutting - identify articles on the Ministry of Education and HR

· Helping in organizing events

· Attends events – see to it if everything goes well

· Liaising with the media/ networking

· Review brochure – helping in providing information to Webmaster

· Drafting letter – invitation to the media.

· Attending to public queries.

These tasks were an opportunity for me to put all my theory which I learned, during my two and a half year study, into practice. This will also provide me with work experience which will help build an excellent resume for when I'm out of the classroom and searching for a job.

Have a question for me? Put it in the comments below and I'll do my best to get back to you!

Manishka Kistamah

CTI Campus - Curtin University

4 comments:

Anicksha said...

Hi Manishka, congrats for the great placement and I must admit that in big organisations, there is no time to waste by the number of tasks we have been assigned to. Effective ommunication is at the centre of all tasks just as at Sun Resorts Ltd, I had to draft press releases, organise press trips, helping in press conferences, compiling media clippings amongst others, I am sure that at the Ministry of Education and Human Resources, same applied to you in terms of tasks; especially at the Ministry where communicating with the public and the media is quite a fastidious job!

Keep up the good work and I will keep you updated about what all I did while being at Sun Resorts Ltd.

Cheers.

Anicksha Boolell
14436314
CTI

Smriti Bauhadoor said...

hi Manishka,

i believe it has not been an easy task to look for an organisation for your placement. But finally u have been able to work with the Ministry and it is serious work and drafting speeches for ministers needs a lot of planning as a small mistake will affect their image infron of the public. i believe you might have enjoyed the event and at the same time a lot of hard work was required. i can understand how difficult it might have been to do an internship and university at the same time. i have laso engaged myself in events where we plan for days about how to make it a succesful one and how to attract the key public's attention. wish you goodluck for the rest of your internship

Smriti Bauhadoor
14446229

Manishka Kistamah said...

Thanks Anicksha and Smriti.
@Smriti, yes its a very stressful job. You can read my next blog, its about writing speeches for the Minister. I will soon post another blog on Events, explaining the full organisation :) Keep reading :)

Naresh Roodur said...

Hey Manishka!

I must say your placement is as good as it can get, when it comes to being challenging.

I believe you are one of the few, if not the only one in our class working for a governmental body.

So kudos for that one.

And i believe it was quite drafting the speeches for the Minister, quite an honour too!

So you are doing good, and i wish you all the best during your placement!

Naresh.
CTI