Hi PR bloggers,
Although, it seems to be easy, press coverage and press clippings demand a lot of time. For instance: to look for the newspapers and assemble it according to date, event and pages. However, it can be said that I am evolving in doing it.
Besides, critics are helping me to gain self-confidence and to develop my skills to better serve the company.
Generally, I like the way things goes on.
Two weeks ago, I attended the press conference: WANTED: 15, 000 Youngsters to save OUR Future! It was supposed to be THE Event due to the fact that the youth are being mobilised to stand for a better future for our country and to show their anger against the Mauritian government mendacity.
Nevertheless, some journalists were not on time and some did not turn up or did not even respond to the invitation done by Neologik Project Manager. In general, there some reasons why journalists did not attend press conference (in Mauritian context).
Firstly, PR consultancies perceive sending mail as eco-friendly. Therefore, new technologies make journalists respond less to press conference’s invitations as they already knew, they will receive a media kit afterward.
Secondly, if the editor-in-chief did not see the event as important to have press coverage or if ever there are more important events elsewhere; journalists will not be informed or ask not to cover that particular event.
However, the press conference has been delayed for one hour to wait for journalists. In the meantime, I was eager to know how the press conference will proceed if ever any journalists did not turn on. It was advised to me that if there is only one journalist, the press conference should proceed on.
To solve the problem, the media relations have phoned to various journalists who pretended a lot of excuses for not coming. Fortunately, four journalists turned up. Hence, I have seen how to deal with such situation. Nevertheless, due to the media kit sent by Neologik Ltd, the WANTED: 15, 000 Youngsters to save OUR Future! rally has gained successful coverage in every newspaper, on Television as well as on every radio station. For now, I am compiling the press clippings for the rally.
Well bloggers, I will keep you updated with my last post in the coming days.
Take care.
Annabel
Charles Telfair Institute, Mauritius.
2 comments:
Hi Annabel,
Still compiling press clippings...Well trust me, it is a time-consuming job but you learn a lot from it though! You might find it boring and repetitive now but it will prove useful in the future. With regards to press conferences, honestly I find it quite hectic and stressful in the sense that you have to chase journalists to attend it and when they don't...be ready to send them well-written press releases and media kits.
I experienced the same stressful situation during the Dodo Trail 2011 media conference; where most journalists were held up in another important media conference! Fortunately four or five of them turned up! Otherwise it would have been such a waste of time, effort and money!
Keep up the good work.
Best of Luck.
Cheers.
Anicksha Boolell.
14436314.
Charles Telfair Institute.
Hello Annabelle,
It is great to hear about your placement.
I agree with you that press clippings are very time-consuming. From my experience, I used to compile all newspapers in a corner and start with the clippings each Friday. Trust me, I used to take the whole day at the beginning but eventually, I got used to it and found it very interesting.
Unfortunately, I cannot really tell you about press conferences. Like you and Anicksha, I still never had a go at it yet.
New technologies are indeed the new trend nowadays. It is used by every PR practitioners as it delivers the message within seconds.
Concerning responses, I also encountered such problems for an important workshop while doing my internship at Amnesty. What I actually did was to call back each one of the members to ask them if they did receive the invitation and if they were planning to come.
I find your post also really interesting concerning what you said about journalists. It is quite normal for them to turn up only when there is a newsworthy subject to cover. But they do EXPECT you to send them press releases and stuffs to write their article. Though I do not consider it fair, it is just a reality we have to face as PR practitioners.
So good luck with your clippings.
Keep us updated about your enriching experience.
Till then, take care.
Darla
CTI
Post a Comment