

(Left) Holly Ransom receiving the Edith Cowan Award. (Right) John and Bev Lowe receiving their WA Citizen of the year award.
I feel privileged to being a part of ground breaking work and I'm loving every minute of it. Being part of the leadership team that is bringing the Curtin Student United Way has been an experience I will treasure for the rest of my life. The things that i've learnt are so degree relevant I couldn't have found a better placement in terms of growing and nurturing my career as a PRO.
This week was truly inspiring as I got an opportunity to meet some real game changers in WA who have done so much in their careers. First I met Bev and John Lowe to arrange a community service project my club would be undertaking. Bev and John are the 2010 recipients of the WA citizen award who started a not for profit organisation named Manna that supports the marginalised community throughout the Perth Metro area. The opportunity to sit with them and pick their brain on the challenges and joys of starting something that will change WA was truly inspiring.
Also this last week i met one of WA's finest youth ambassadors: Holly Ransom. Holly is a young women who has done much for herself. I would rather just leave a link to her website so you can see for yourself rather than put shame to her name with my poor writing. http://www.hollyransom.com. However in brief she too is an award winning citizen of WA and was truly helpful in enhancing the scope of where we can go with our club.
As a result of the people I've met this week my vision for the club has come from a basic volunteering group to establishing WA's largest student volunteer network. The wealth of knowledge I've received from these three people has been truly inspiring and i can only hope to continue meeting people of this calibre until one day someone can blog about me.
This week I've got a presentation to the United Way board which sits some of the leaders of companies like Chevron, Alcoa, HBF and Freehills just to name a few. Wish me luck everyone!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment