My internship at Amnesty International Mauritius Section has come to an end. I have had an enriching experience over there. I never thought that I could have learned so much about PR in an NGO.
But indeed, I should put emphasis on the fact that NGO use a lot of Public Relations in its day-to-day activities. PR is used to a great extent at Amnesty. I am extremely lucky and proud to have had my work experience at Amnesty. There was no better place where I could have got so much experience. I have not only learned but I also got the golden opportunity to exert my knowledge of PR and develop my capabilities as a future PR practitioner.
I do remember that during one of the PR module, we were taught how to make checklist. However, I never imagined that checklist could be needful in this modern world of new technologies. With reference to one of my particular tasks, I not only got to use checklist but I also discovered its importance.
As a PR intern, I got a lot of tasks to work on. Promotion was one of them. I initially had to promote the new courses offered by Amnesty. It was quite challenging at the beginning but I managed to persuade a good number of people to enrol for the courses by the end of the day. My colleague was actually very happy with the result.
NGO as everyone knows depends a lot on funds gained from membership fees, donations, CSR funds and fund-raising activities. So, I have tried to my level best to engage people in becoming members of Amnesty during the different events that took place. I also made sure that members were paying their membership fees and thus kept the files updated. In doing so, I have helped to make sure that Amnesty was having enough funds for its forthcoming activities. Moreover, together with my fellow colleagues, we have also organised a fund-raising activity where funds were raised for the Dignity Campaign. I should point out that one of my class mate namely Smriti was there as intern also and we had work together to make this activity a success. We have actually raised more than Rs 2000 just the two of us in one day. I have noted that there should always be a motive behind each fund-raising ceremony. One cannot ask money just like that, it would not be ethical. I have also noted that the police should be made aware of the activity beforehand. Money raised should normally be contributed to a particular campaign. In this case, the money will be contributed to the Dignity group of Amnesty for a special campaign, ‘Aidez les pauvres à sortir de la pauvreté’.
During my internship, I also had a go at designing pages in newspapers and newsletters. I always liked colours and design. I thus took that opportunity given to me by my colleagues to create really amazing pages and invitations. I had lots of fun at it. It was really one of my most enjoyable tasks and I got to learned how to use Photoshop at the same time. I also had to work alongside the designer of Le Défi Quotidien for the design of the pages.
PR comprises a lot of things. I had a go at mostly everything during my placement at Amnesty. The list below will give you a brief overview of the OTHER tasks I was assigned during my placement.
• Prepare Fact Sheet
• Assist and prepare minutes of meetings
• Research work
• Appreciation of website
• Prepare packages for members
• Compile and update articles from Google alerts
• Make up the archives of international newsletter
• Compile local newsletter
• Take pictures
• Help in different events

I would like to thank my colleagues, Ashnavi and Rindra for their support. They have helped and guided me a lot during my internship. I got to learn a lot from them. They have not only corrected my mistakes but they have also pushed me forward and towards new initiatives each time. I really do owe them for what they did for me.
I am now more prepare to join the PR industry.
Hope that your internship was great as much as mine.
Best of luck for your reports guys.
Darla Seevathian
14212763
CTI
1 comment:
hey Darla...i know we were both having our internship at Amnesty International and that tasks that we were assigned were different as well. it is so as i was working with Dragana who was the fund raising coordinator. but gain we i ahd to call corporate and hotel as well for the MQA training that Amnesty is looking forward to offer to them.but again it was an enriching exprience to put whatever we have learned in PR in prcatice
Post a Comment