Thursday, October 13, 2011

Fin

Hello Everyone,

I'm glad to see that everyone is enjoying their last few valuable days at their placements. Report writing is proving to be a bit hectic, so good luck to all of you!

I have completed my placement now, and am a little sad to be leaving. The staff at Swimming WA are all such lovely and laid back people. I have learnt a lot from my mentor Dan, who previously worked in politics in the Queensland Government. He is just one of the valuable contacts that I will walk away with.

Unlike a lot of units I have completed during my degree, I have thoroughly enjoyed the practicality of this unit. I feel that real life experience is much more important that writing reports and essays. Looking back over the years I wish I had taken the time to complete more work experience over my summer and winter breaks away from Uni.

As well as learning the workings of a not for profit organisation, I also walk away from this unit more inclined in a career in PR instead of marketing. I had previously been struggling with getting my head around the future and where my preferences lie, but my placement has luckily exposed me to both.

Good luck for the future!

Holly x
Curtin Campus

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Holly,

It sound's like you had a terrific mentor. I think this unit provides the opportunity to establish invaluable relationships like the one you have created with Dan.

I really resonate with your summation of this unit in providing a practical component compared to a text book that is outdated a year after it's published!I also regret not making the time to do additional work experience or apply for internships.

Best of luck for the future!

Catie