Ahh isn't it lovely, to have completed your report, finally be free of the stresses of the week, only to realise I still have one blog outstanding - lucky I have something to share :)
Throughout my placement at Mellen Events, I have really been exposed to the concept of integrated communications. If I have said it once, I have said it 1000 times, I truly believe in order to successfully interact with your stakeholders, specific concepts of communications must be integrated, and you may actually be working against yourself to keep everything so separated.
Advertising, marketing, PR. They are all simialiar in some ways, but before I started at Mellen Events, I didn't quite realise how far the integration of PR activities actually span. If we look at the Operations Manager, her role is to liaise with local councils and governments a lot of the time, working on those relationships and building news once for concert venues and events locations. She is also the internal communicator, who links all the either departments together, so everyone is on the same page and aware of each others roles and activities.
Then the actual event coordinators and managers, who are constantly working with stakeholders, and maintaining partnerships and sponsorships. They are also working to satisfy their largest stakeholders, event patrons. Not to mention the absolute NEED for contingency planning in every aspect of an event. They need to have a plan for when a show is cancelled, moved or postponed, erergency procedures, ways to deal with budget limitations etc. Its just so interesting to see how, what I initially thought was solely one profession and skill, can be worked into so many areas of business.
I am so glad to have learnt so much from my placement. I hope you have all enjoyed this unit as much as i have :) (especially writing the report ha ha)
Good luck with all your future endeavours and of course exams,
Mel
xx
Welcome to PR Internship - YOUR opportunity to put everything you have learned over the past years at university into practice and to get a thorough insight into what public relations is like "in the real world". This Blog allows you to reflect on your experiences, share insights with other students across campuses and to possibly give advice and support to fellow students. Please also see http://printernship-reflections.blogspot.com.au/ for more reflections
2 comments:
It's great to see you enjoyed your placement so much!
Highly agree with the fact contingency plans need to be created for every aspect of an event...every aspect!
I felt that same feeling when I had completed my report and couldn't find or track down any of my blog posts or comments = DISASTER!
Good luck for exams and the all your endeavours in the future.
Catie :)
Hey Mel,
It seems you, just like everyone else, have really enjoyed your placement, which is great to hear!
I agree that contingency plans are a must in event planning, especially when one thing going wrong can throw out so many other things, and I can't imagine how hard it would to think of all these things that MIGHT go wrong and then have a plane to fix it!
Post a Comment