Saturday, October 1, 2011

The fine line..

Hello all, I hope everyone is going well with their internships!

Today I thought I might write about the issue of Marketing and Public Relations coexisting in a workplace. I’m not sure how many of you are in the same position as I am, but I’ll explain what I mean. In my position at Student Edge, the company is heavily into marketing, youth marketing to be exact, with set marketing positions. However in terms of Public Relations there is not set consultant and work is carried out through someone who is marketing based. Even when writing notes everyday after work about what work I have completed I have to think, was that more marketing, or was that PR? Being quite confused in some areas I referred back to the first ever PR book I got, which was the Theory and Practice book, I now thank myself for listening to Jennifer who said, “hang onto this one.” In there I found a Venn diagram, which classed certain activities, as either marketing, PR or both. Having a read through this in fact made me realize that maybe I was doing more PR work than I initially thought!

While I was having a read through that book I also found a simple quote which summed it up for me - “some of the tools and functions of PR can be used to assist in the promotion and sales of products and services, thus being included in the marketing mix.” I suppose I felt a little more at ease, as here I was thinking my god.. I am actually doing PR things? Am I getting the most out of my placement??

Another popular topic I have noticed in a few of the blogs is relationship building, in particular with your coworkers. I read a cool blog that mentioned that an intern was doing Yoga with her coworkers, and asking if anyone else was loving their workplace as much. Well, I can say I definitely am! We don’t have Yoga.. but one of the designers mothers runs a boot camp, maybe not comparable but the team does have an excellent workplace aura with great celebrations on birthdays, work milestones and treats galore. This topic in particular interested me as having worked in a rather dull environment compared to Student Edge, I feel as though even the quality of work that is produced can possibly relate to the workplace environment. Having said that, when it does come time to enter another workplace I can hope that their environment is as great as the one I currently am in.

Anyway that is all for today, I hope everyone has a wonderful time and good luck with the up and coming uni exam/assignment related stress!

Lucy Zupan

14283808

Bentley

2 comments:

geachi said...

Hi Lucy,

I just wanted to say great post! I really liked how you were also confused as to the seperation of marketing and pr in the work place which was my thought when I first started my placement. It was great you were to distinguish this common issue. I think it is great though and as you said a relief that they blend into each other, so we know we are on the right track! Good luck with the rest of it and your exams

Jessica

Lucy.s said...

Lucy,

I definitely see what you mean in your blog post. I too find it difficult to separate marketing, public relations and even advertising.

Although the practitioners at my internship hold degrees in public relations, their roles see them constantly working on advertising and marketing in order to give their clients an effective marketing mix.

Good luck!
Lucy