Saturday, October 1, 2011

Marketing vs PR

Hi guys,

This is my third blog, and finishing up at my workplacement. I was wondering what angle to write from this time and I just came across Lucy Zupan's blog who explained her worry, is she doing too much marketing than PR? This was something that also was on my mind as Katharina had mentioned to remember to keep our PR hat on.

It actually is the opposite effect for Manikinn, Lucy mentioned how Student Edge only has a marketing co-ordinator. Manikinn only has an assistant who deals within PR/ Media relations, no particular marketing co-oridnator. Whether or not we can say this is due to the size of the company compared to those that are more established, though companies such as Student Edge, you would expect them to be an established company. Anyone have any thoughts?

I did wonder how Marketing and PR seperate, there have been many aspects of my role that I could not distinguish between, from the blog entries, Manikinn TV or more behind the scenes of a fashion label, assisting in the retail and clothing aspect, contacting stockists nationally or internationally, or contacting media outlets and sending onward clothing or media releases.

I did hope that I would find a mix of both, and from what Lucy has explained, it seems this is the case. Her example; “some of the tools and functions of PR can be used to assist in the promotion and sales of products and services, thus being included in the marketing mix.”

And as Lucy explained we should feel a bit more at easy knowing this. I think this is why Marketing and PR go so well together, they do cover similar aspects and what is learnt in one, can be substituted for the other, a great tool in itself. I see this positively, to know when I go out into the workforce I can do both with either skill and knowledge that I have learnt from my university degree and also working at Manikinn. It would be a shame to no use the use of one of them.

Until next time,

Jessica Geach

14424131

No comments: