Thursday, October 13, 2011

I'm out

Everybody seems to have finished, or almost finished their work placements and is ready to go out into the real world and look for paid work. Well I'm going to be at the DSR for another couple of weeks finalising my project and I still have another semester to do before I graduate, so I won't be doing either of those things.
For various reasons there has been a mass exodus from the communications department at the DSR. Only one person is left which means I probably won't get to see my work after the graphic design stage while I'm still here, which is kind of the reason I've been hanging around. I still have a little bit of stuff to do, editing type jobs mainly but I feel confident that I've done a good job of what I was given to do about nine weeks ago now. 
It was a great experience for me, this whole internship business. It was good to get a taste of life after uni and I have been absolutely flat out this whole semester juggling this internship with uni and two jobs. On a side note, being so busy helped me realise how true the saying "if you want something done, get a busy person to do it" is. 
Although there was no media relations involved in my internship I feel it was still very valuable from a PR point of view. The main skills I worked on were research, editing and writing in different styles. I feel it covered a lot of skills that PR professionals use in their daily work.
To be honest I think anything I could say now I'v already said before, and I don't have a lot of new ground to cover. But it's Thursday night and I have a 6000 word report to polish off before I am free for the next four months (my mind has been stuck on backpacking through SE Asia for the last two months) so I best get on out of here and get on it.

Well played everyone.

No comments: