Thursday, October 13, 2011

The Wonderful World of Public Relations

It was my final day of Internship today, just in time before the final report due date, now I can include all my recommendation into the report. In twenty days I have learnt the real world of PR, I have been thought some really valuable lesson which can only be learnt by years of experience. The wonderful world of Public Relations has showed me there are many way to approach a problem but approach it the PR way, and in my opinion it will be the best possible way. The term PR is used to describe the management of information between one party and another. Every company that is large enough to have a public face will employ PR in one way or the other. In fact, it is mandatory to make use of PR when managing brands. To explain Public Relations better, think about how you want your target audience to perceive a brand. A brand may take years to be accepted but if the PR is launched correctly then the brand may be a hit sooner.

During my internship at Squire Sanders, I have seen the impact of the littlest PR strategy as small as a lunch for 12 people, at first in the back of my mind, it seemed very small for a company with a global network to be hosting a lunch, but only later did I learn that the lunch was set up for government delegate from another country, then the lunch did not seem small and that is when I understood that all the big PR strategy that we used to recommend in our unit assignments are good if it is planned for a big PR gig, we forgot to look into the small PR strategies, the small easy but effective ones.

They always say look at the big picture, but I say look at the smaller ones first, it may not be big and nice and colourful but it is easy to look at and look at it carefully and it might be one of the best pictures you will ever see.

With that thought in mind, I wish all my fellow PR practitioners all the best in your future undertakings, and remember, it is not the size of the event but how well you execute it.

Signing off as a soon to be graduate

Murugan Silvam

Business Development Intern

Squire Sanders (AU)

No comments: