Wednesday, October 12, 2011

I've reached the end, but it's not over yet!

Hi everyone!

This will be my final post as I finished my placement yesterday! My last day was spent helping out the staff as Perth is hosting the Arts Developmental Marketing Forum. The day ran quite smoothly with a few small(ish) conferences hosted at the State Library. The conference is running for the rest of the week and people in the arts and cultural sector from across Australia have come to Perth to discuss marketing.

My last day wasn't really my last day as I have been asked to come in for a few days over the next few weeks on a paid basis! I was more than happy to agree as I was feeling quite dissapointed that my placement would finish up just as Our Page in History was about to launch. I will head in for a few days between study and exams to do some testing on the updated website and do put together some media releases and other communication documents for the launch in York in early November. It will be fantastic to be able to work on some of the strategies I suggested in my communications plan. I did worry that a lot of the strategies would't be carried out as there is just not enough staffing resources.

Looking back I have really enjoyed my placement, particularly towards the end as I became more involved with Our Page in History. Although I was apprehensive about working in a non-profit I think this has worked in my favour. I have had so much hands on experience and have worked on so many different public relations tasks. I'm not sure that I would have got the chance to do so much if I had worked elsewhere. The work environment has been fantastic! My supervisor Bronwyn and the rest of the team have made me feel so welcomed since my first day and their feedback throughout my placement has been so valuable. I feel that I have really enhanced my professional skills and I now feel more then ready to head out into the big wide world!

I hope everyone has enjoyed their placement as much as I have! Good luck for your final reports! It feels strange knowing that I am finishing my degree- time has just gone so quickly!

Please check out Our Page in History at the end of October if you remember! I really believe the project is a great idea (and not just because I have been working on it!). You can check out the current site at www.ourpageinhistory.org

Jaimi Baile
14266621

No comments: