Thursday, October 6, 2011

Time to Get BUSY!!!

Hi Everyone,

How's your report? stressful right? Hang in there people,few weeks to go and everything will be over.
Ooh No!! waking up in the morning was a big problem, at least with school you might not have morning classes everyday and even if,once you are done you go home.But with work it's different, you have to wake up every morning as early as 7am,no such thing as today is 9am,then tomorrow 9:30 but i managed to pull through * Big smile*

Like i said earlier in my previous post ,on my first day i went in scared and excited which I guess is normal; this is how we all feel on the first day. But I'm really happy i was able to get that anxiety out of the way before graduating and i won't be in shock when i eventually get to the real world. This module really helped me to be confident in myself and my skills as well as giving me the chance to utilise these skills in the real working world.

The Unit i worked under was the Corporate Communications of Multimedia university which consisted of branding & website, events management, visit & publications and press & publication.So it's okay to say i had four Bosses which i was answerable to at the end of the day.Generally I was responsible for most of the administrative task like picking calls, photocopies, writing fact-sheets, making calls, prepare documents, arranging meeting rooms and refreshments supply for the department. But again i was very much involved in the PR related task such as drafting press-release,website updates but i was mostly involved in the event part ;

Event :For every event i was responsible for the following duties ,so each time there was an event they didn't have to remind me,i already knew what i was suppose to do.

Pre-Event

  1. · Invite guests and press to event (via email and phone call)
  2. · Call caterers for quotation(s) on refreshments based on the agreed budget and to get approval from Finance department to proceed.
  3. · Call vendors for quotation(s) on souvenir items based on the agreed budget and to get approval from Finance department to proceed.
  4. · Prepare tagging/ place cards and program books
  5. · Prepare miscellaneous housekeeping items for VIPs such as fancy toilet rolls, air freshener, toiletries, slippers, robes and towels.

Event Day

  • · Visit the venue one hour before the event.
  • · Make sure that AV equipment are switched on and in good working condition.
  • · Check that furniture has been arranged according to agreed layout.
  • · Ensure that refreshments, tagging/ place cards, program books and table cloths/ skirting are arranged at their respective places.
  • · Confirm that photographer/ camera person, technicians and MCs are at the venue at least half an hour before the event.
  • · Check that caterers are on standby at least one hour before the ceremony.
  • · manage the ushers, guests, media and the program flow:

· Ushers – make sure ushers take care of the VIP guest(s) that has been assigned to them.

· Guests – make sure ushers seat guests according to the agreed seating layout.

.Post Event

After the event i'm expected to Write a full report of the happenings of the event.

I found the event task very interesting and engaging,i love foot work rather than sit in the office which helped me perform better and i learnt alot.

Grace Adamu

14462542/108020015

LUCT



3 comments:

Victoria Hainsworth said...

It sounds like you were given a lot of resposibility in your internship which is essential for gaining an entry level position in today's job market. I also enjoyed doing the foot work, coming up with ideas and pitching them, checking out the event space and contacting all of the attendees. Its interesting that you were asked to create a report on the event as I would have thought they would have left this to a more senior person. I think they really appreciated your input an regarded you highly! I hope you enjoyed he whole experience.

Victoria

Victoria Hainsworth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shafiya said...

I really enjoyed the behind-the-scenes look into what goes into planning an event. Event management is one of the more exciting aspects of Public Relations and it's great you were handed such responsibility, it must have made for a rich experience. It sounds like a lot of work though, props to you for managing it so well! I got exhausted just from reading your tasks, haha. I too was involved in some events but perhaps not to the extent of yours. I only wrote and drafted the PR materiels for the event rather than doing the actual legwork. It must have helped that you actually enjoyed doing the legwork, of which I'm sure there must have been plenty. Some of us probably take for granted the amount of work and effort it takes to put together an event, especially one in a corporate setting. Which is why I found your blog post about it incredibly insightful.