Sunday, November 6, 2011

First Week!

I’ve started my PR internship on 31 October 2011, thus this is my first blog after I’ve completed the first week of my internship!

During my internship, I feel so unmotivated at work firstly. Everyone is enjoying their holiday but I’ve to stay here and complete my internship. *sad case*

However, after a week, I figured out that my “holiday” is quite meaningful as well although I’ve to spend it for my internship. I could learn many things instead of watching series at home only.

After I’ve registered myself in the first day, one of my colleagues, Marcella showed me some press clippings of Curtin University, Sarawak (I am currently completing my internship at Curtin University Sarawak Malaysia- Corporate Communication Department). She explained what press clipping is and what should I notice while doing press clipping. Then, I’ve started from the easiest task, press clippings. I read newspapers and cut any news that are related to Curtin University Sarawak, Malaysia from the newspapers. After that, I need to paste it on a piece of paper and take note of which date, page and the name of the newspaper for that particular news.

Honestly, when I saw those newspapers on my table, I feel like burning all those newspapers because I-don’t-like-to-read-newspapers! BUT, this is the first task I need to learn during my internship, I’ve no choice! I couldn’t say NO! *sad case again*

After I read few sets of newspapers, I tried to find some interesting news to read instead of finding the news which related to Curtin University Sarawak Malaysia only. From that moment, I feel that my knowledge is *increasing* while reading newspapers. (I hope I can train myself continue to read newspapers every day after I get done with my internship)

When my internship came to the second day, I’ve been taught how-to-monitor-press-clippings. I need to key in those press clipping’s information to Microsoft Excel and calculate the value. If no mistaken, I guess this calculation is what I’ve learned from my previous lecture (AVE- Advertising Value Equivalent).

Marcella also taught me how to search for documents from the computer, so that I can read more documents/information about this department (what they did before such as media release, event planning, advertising, etc). Basically, Marcella and my manager are the person who prepare media release. So, I read some of their media releases.

Other than that, another colleague Yii Yang is more into about advertising. He told me the market price of advertising nowadays. It is bloody expensive. *shock* And, the latest advertisement of Curtin University Sarawak Malaysia is – an advertisement (radio) is going to release at Hitz.fm soon!

In addition, I joined a meeting as well. *so nervous* The meeting is about Curtin Staff Portal. This is my first experience *participate a real-life-and-formal-meeting*.

Lastly, the mainly task I have focused on is press clipping in the first week. I read many media releases and I think I should go further about media release in my second week! *looking forward*

To be continued…..

No comments: