Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Creating website content

Hi everyone! How is everyone doing? Here is my second post about my internship. My internship has been so far so good and  I have learn many things through my colleague as they have all been in this industry for many years already. Not only requires the knowledge of Public relations  but it requires me to know things about Jewellery and get to understand the product. So, for one month plus I have been working on the website for the company and I have applied the things that I have learn in PR (Techniques) in creating this website.

I always thought that creating a website will be easy but there are many things to consider.
1. Who are my target audience?
2. What is the webpage for?
3. What should my webpage look like?
4. How to monitor the traffic of the visitors?
5. How to attract more visitors to the webpage?
6. Budget? Cost of hosting a webpage?
7. What kind of contents should be in the webpage?

Of course, All these are the things I have to consider and draft out before creating this webpage. Also, I did some research before drafting out.

I realise alot of the Jewellery Webpages in Singapore are very simple and usually more pictures than words. So I decided to work along this line and I am sure consumers are more interested in looking at the collections of Jewellery. Another thing would be getting the right keywords so to build more traffic for the webpage and making sure it is easy to find on any search engines. Security is also important for as we want our content and information to be protected.

Preview :


We are still editing and finding tune to the website. I really enjoy the time setting up this website and learning to think out of the box to let my creativity flow. I think creativity is one of the important things in public relations too.

See you all again!

Wan Yi
Curtin Singapore Campus

1 comment:

D Cornish said...

Dear Wan Yi,

It was heartening to read your post dated December 20, 2011.

Initially I thought exactly the same way as you did when I first started out in marketing and pr. I thought how hard can a website be? I soon learnt that there is so much that goes on behind the scene for a website in order for it to function properly and become a valuable resource to a business.

Unfortunately for me, when I moved from sales to marketing and pr (my current position), I did not have anyone else in my department who could help. It was just me. So I set out to find the answers to my questions online.

I was pleased to find many websites out there to assist PR and marketing professionals.
One in particular that I found useful is Hub Spot. Follow the following link and see for yourself -
http://www.hubspot.com/marketing-resources/

There are many PR and Marketing websites out there that you can subscribe to which will send you daily updates with useful information. For social media, I believe it is a must to subscribe to online support sites; with continual changes to social media, it is challenging and time consuming keeping abreast of these changes.

I have also learnt a lot by networking with people, both within and outside of my industry. In the past I had undervalued networking but I was surprised to learn how much you can learn from other professionals and business owners. Individuals that own their own businesses seem to know a fair amount about how to best market their services.

As an employee of a large company, one of my challenges is that the time spent managing a website and social media is grossly underestimated by upper management. Particularly for the behind the scenes work such as; updating meta-tags, labelling all pictures, monitoring search engine optimisation and making other adjustments when needed.

Though I have found that my skills obtained working as a sales consultant have aided me in presenting a sound argument as to why my time should be invested in certain tasks and why tasks can take as long as they do. The time to do this (communicate) then needs to be factored into the overall project also.

So it seems there is really a whole lot more to a website than meets the eye!
Best of luck with your prac,
D. Cornish

Curtin University
Bentley Campus, Western Australia.