Sunday, December 11, 2011

The Journey to Middle East

Hi everyone,

It's been almost a month since i started my internship.  Recently, I am given this opportunity to be part of the team to travel down to Bahrain for Jewellery Arabia event. Alot of Jewellery Companies will be there. The company I am interning for is a Jewellery Company that does exporting and manufacturing. They have been around since 1984. Currently, I was asked by my director to help set up a website for them and doing up a PR plan for them.

Going back to my trip to Bahrain, it was really a good exposure and experience for me. My job scope was to make sure that everything is set up nicely at the booth such as the Jewellery Items and posters. Also, during the 5 days of the exhibition I am in charge of  communicating and serving the buyers of our booth as all of them are big clients. Not just communicating but also to maintain strong relationship with the partners and suppliers. Not only that, my job was also to get feedbacks from them. Make sure that they are satisfy with the products and services.















A picture of me with my colleague, preparing me of what to do later and I was given a chance to do up the posters for our booth. It was tiring but overall I get to see how middle east consumers are like.

Next coming up would be a Malaysia Jewellery Fair. Currently I will be working with the vendors to develop the posters, brochures, name cards and catalogues.  Also stay tune for the website I've been designing for almost a month now.

See you all!

Wan Yi
Curtin Singapore

3 comments:

Deanne B said...

Hi Wan Yi,

I hope you are enjoying your internship. It sounds like you have gained a lot of experience with stakeholder relations and interaction through your travels to Bahrain for the jewellery exhibition. I recently assisted with an investor conference at my internship. The conference was based around promoting mining of minerals and petroleum in Greenland and is run by the Greenland government. As I had never attended a conference before I was not sure what to expect when assisting throughout the day. I was lucky enough to be placed on the registration table which allowed me to interact with the attendees and conference organisers. I think that it is important to be able to experience these types of events first hand so that you are able to recreate similar events in your future career as a public relations professional.

I notice that you have been asked to help develop a website and public relations plan for the organisation, this sounds really interesting. I haven’t been able to work with websites much during my degree and have only had minor exposure to writing website content in internships. Learning how to develop a website will be a very useful tool that you will be able to take to any public relations position. At PPR, where I am currently completing my internship, we are lucky enough to have an in-house design team that can create anything from promotional videos to websites to factsheets. It is quite handy to be able to liaise with the design team daily about projects that you may be working on. Also it allows the consultant to be able to check the work of the graphic designer as they are completing it and make changes along the way instead of waiting to get the end product back from an external designer and not like the completed product.

I hope you enjoy the rest of your internship and I wish you all the best for the completion of your studies.

Deanne

Bentley Campus

Nick.Chia said...

Hey Wan Yi!

You're one lucky girl, having the opportunity to travel abroad from your internship period. How's it like over there in the middle east? In terms of culture (in living, working and PR-wise) as well as the climate and food?

Hope you've been enjoying your internship journey so far!

- Nick
Curtin Singapore

Unknown said...

Hi Deanne,

Thanks for the comment. Wow, your internship sounds really interesting too. Yes, I agreed that it is really important to get these experiences so that in the future career we are more aware and prepared for the events in the future.

Currently, I have been trying to use photoshop and some other designing programs. I think it would be a good experience to work with all these graphic designers and learning from them.

Hope you are enjoying your internship too!

To Nick:

Hey! It was a really good experience. I think in terms of their country, they are doing really well in the economy and strong in currency. Women over there really enjoy buying Jewellery and visiting these fairs have been
like a routine for them every year.

I think PR wise would be more of what we have learn in PR(International). Like it is always best to understand their culture and aware of their customs and beliefs. I've learned some Arabic words while working over there and find it really useful.