Saturday, February 4, 2012

Introduction, Interviews & initial Insights


Greetings to all!

Perhaps like the few of you, my internship began ahead of summer enrolment. In fact, it took place from March to September last year. Akin to many of your own experiences, these seven months proved an eye-opener. As such, most of what I’d be sharing with you here will be in retrospect. Thanks in advance for your kind attention. And I hope that this practical unit likewise provided you an incredible learning journey!

Before I slink off recounting experiences gleaned as an intern, I’d like to comment on the interview process. For a shrinking violet like me, being interviewed by no-nonsense corporate types was daunting to say the least. A few face-to-face interviews later, I’ve become emboldened and am the better for it. What I’ve observed is that fortunately or not, fair or less so, likeability and affinity are contributing factors in interview outcomes. Future job seekers would also do well to ask themselves if they’d thrive and flourish in the perceived workplace environment/culture as projected by the interviewer before plunging headlong into a career placement that looks good on paper.

And onto the placement proper, I interned at a business-to-business (B2B), (government-to-business) G2B events marketing company. The lean outfit runs and plans regional events in Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand and the Philippines. No pun intended, my time there was very eventful having helped run distinct events held at the GSC Pavilion and The Westin Kuala Lumpur and in the process, met an array of personalities.

From the outset, it was a steep learning curve which yielded a rewarding job experience overall. I had hit the ground running in the first week, pooling relevant media contacts and drafting/signing off on my first press release. Frankly, I was terrified at first of the writing prospect as it revolved around IT for Human Resources (HR), a subject very foreign to me at the time. Backed by research material provided (as this was my first assignment), I went on to write about the usability of cloud computing as well as clients’ systems suites for payroll, e-learning and other HR needs/functions. 

It has since impressed on me that PR practitioners need to quickly become experts in specialist industries such as finance, healthcare etc. This is especially pertinent for fledging professionals from a generic Business School/Communication Studies background. In the weeks and months ensued, I found myself primarily immersed in trends/issues relating to oil and gas (O&G), HR and finance sectors. PR practitioners simply must ‘know’ the industry/client/community.

In summary, this working opportunity has provided me the chance to involve in Marketing Public Relations (MPR) and work closely with skilled, seasoned professionals.

Until the next instalment, keep well.

Yours sincerely,
Eunice 
Curtin Singapore

No comments: