Sunday, April 1, 2012

My Experience at the DSR (Part 2) - More media releases, more coffee and an accidental runner

Hey guys,

It's been a few weeks since my last update.  Ok that is a lie, it's been more than a few weeks but it's time to fill you in on my experiences to date.

I've found myself continually drawing from my journalism studies in a lot of my work so far.  As I joined following the launch of KidSport the majority of my time has been dedicated to identifying positive stories and working on media releases to help raise awareness for the program.

In week two (aka day two) I began my first media releases about the program which were about a group of Aboriginal boys in Narrogin joining the gymnastics club for the first time with financial assistance from KidSport and a similar story about a boy who was able to join his local cricket club for the first time - something his family had not been able to afford in the past.  These stories were sent out to local media outlets in their respective areas.  For one story I was lucky enough to get an interview with via email which gave me some well thought out, clearly written quotes to use.  The second interview was a little trickier as it was over the phone.  I was able to get a couple of decent quotes jotted down but need to work on my shorthand to make the process easier in the future.  For those interested you can read my two media releases here and here

It turns out there were a ton of enquiries about the Nicky Winmar Carnival article I had written in the previous week.  The carnival received some positive press with most of the information included in my media release appearing in the articles I saw.

In weeks three and four I changed focus a little and worked on a series of media releases for the Department of Sport and Recreation's (DSR) Community Volunteer Grants program.  I completed three articles which can be seen here, here and here.

I attended my first full department meeting in week five.  This was an interesting experience as I was able to see what all the other teams were working on - PR and otherwise.  It provided an interesting overview of the department and where our small PR team fits into the overall picture.

Monday mornings are not getting any easier.  Working nights Tuesday to Saturday and then using Sunday to try and adjust my sleeping pattern in order to get up at 7am on Monday can be very hard and my morning coffee is becoming the cornerstone of my day.  Without a good morning coffee the rest of the day just crumbles!  To help with this I have invested in a proper coffee machine and am currently sitting here pumped full of caffeine and wondering how I ever drank instant coffee. Seriously, best investment EVER.

As I alluded to in the title there was also a small mishap involving accidentally doing a runner from a cafe during my lunch hour...  I had become so used to paying for food before eating it (students can't afford to go anywhere fancy enough to charge you AFTER you eat to be fair!) that I finished my meal and simply walked out, no one said a word or tried to stop me.  An hour or so later as I went to get a drink from the office vending machine I noticed that I still had cash in my wallet.  As this is an incredibly uncommon sight my mistake quickly dawned on me.  Embarrassed,  I made my way back to the restaurant and paid for my lunch.  The staff seemed shocked that I came back to pay and were very nice about it.  Luckily for me I avoided getting on any blacklists and have been able to enjoy lunch there many times since!

Until next time,

Luke

No comments: