Sunday, April 29, 2012

PR... not in the classroom anymore!

Hello bloggers, my name is Anne-Lise Blackburn and I am currently doing a BA in Mass Communication. I am doing my internship for PR 393-Professional Practice at the Mauritian Wildlife Foundation, a non-for-profit organization.
I have been an intern for 10 days now it has been a “revelation” for me in relation to how PR works in real life. It is not as easy as I thought it would be. It is not the same as working on a group project and putting up a PR plan- as most of us did in PR consultancy. There are so many-unexpected- things which need to be taken into consideration before going ahead with a particular project.
For instance, I was asked to contribute-in terms of ideas- to a fundraising campaign. I started to think strategically and ideas started to pour in. This seemed easy as this was exactly what I have been doing during my years at university for PR modules. However most of my ideas- although they were welcomed by my supervisor- were not valid as they encompassed too many “side problems” which I didn’t consider.
My advice to you all is to participate as much as you can, be willing to work and take each step as a learning one. This will give you the opportunity to get to know how interesting and thrilling PR can be.

Stay tuned… there’s more to come soon!
Cheers

3 comments:

FashionPR-in-Mauritius said...

Hi Annelise,

I am very happy and I wish you good luck for your intership. It will be quite hard especially in the beginning because there will be a lot challenges.. ideas who turn out to be not so good, etc.. you'll also have some other problems too but it will be worth it. During my internship I realised how i love PR... Just don't give up..

x0x0

Jaysen said...

Hi Anne-Lise,

Its often to surprising to see the other side of the picture because we've been so trapped in between books and readings the past three years.

Though the applications of PR knowledge in real life seems like a piece of cake, it is often restraint by factors like budget and human resource and I guess we all have to realise it first hand before we can use PR to the fullest...

Anyway, keep the good work and keep the spirit...

Jaysen.

Giovani Adeline said...

Hi Anne-Lise!
Indeed once immersed in the PR profession world, we get to see the bigger picture. You gain industry Knowledge that you won’t find in books, you accumulate evidence of your abilities (no more spoon feeding), the hours spent in lectures and tutorials bear their fruits. You make professional contacts that may be useful in your career and last but not the least you will have a confidence boost!!
So continue to enjoy your placement and share your experience!
Regards,

Giovani