intern /ˈɪn.tɜːn/ /-tɝːn/ noun [ C ] STUDENT
1. Someone who is finishing their training for a skilled job especially
by getting practical experience of the work involved.
She worked in the White House as an intern.
Without a doubt, an internship presents wonderful opportunities to learn outside the boundaries of a classroom, to expand our social networks, to sharpen our skills, and to prepare us for what lies ahead. However, at the end of the day, how do we evaluate our growth? Like they say, there is no one better than you who can accurately assess your progress.
Looking back at your earliest week in the office, staring at the first task you were given in the face – simply pose yourself two questions:
If you response is ‘yes’ to the above, this would mean that the internship has served you well, seeing how you have certainly grown and learned from it.
Indeed, what a ride it has been! I believe when we first commenced our internships, picturing the arrival of this day would seem like a million years away. However, the tricky thing with time is – it glides pass us, whether we notice it or not. All we can do is to make every minute count by spending it on the best possible avenues – which we have all been doing on our placements.
As I bring this post to a close, not only do I say goodbye to this internship, but also my tenure at Curtin University. They say graduation is a bittersweet ending to a new beginning, nevertheless I am not too certain if I am ready to bid my final farewell... I might just want to hold on to these moments a little longer.
To the rest of my fellow university mates – class of semester 2, 2012, all the best for your future endeavours, and as Ralph Waldo Emerson puts it – “Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail”.
Cheers,
Jac
15115009
Looking back at your earliest week in the office, staring at the first task you were given in the face – simply pose yourself two questions:
- How do you feel about this task now?
- Are you able to complete it as/or more efficiently within a shorter span of time?
If you response is ‘yes’ to the above, this would mean that the internship has served you well, seeing how you have certainly grown and learned from it.
Indeed, what a ride it has been! I believe when we first commenced our internships, picturing the arrival of this day would seem like a million years away. However, the tricky thing with time is – it glides pass us, whether we notice it or not. All we can do is to make every minute count by spending it on the best possible avenues – which we have all been doing on our placements.
As I bring this post to a close, not only do I say goodbye to this internship, but also my tenure at Curtin University. They say graduation is a bittersweet ending to a new beginning, nevertheless I am not too certain if I am ready to bid my final farewell... I might just want to hold on to these moments a little longer.
To the rest of my fellow university mates – class of semester 2, 2012, all the best for your future endeavours, and as Ralph Waldo Emerson puts it – “Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail”.
Cheers,
Jac
15115009
![]() |
| "It's in the ABCs of growing up." |

1 comment:
Hi Jac,
Congratulations on successfully completing your placement! As a final semester student, I am looking forward to start my new adventure in the working world and finally get to apply my theoretical knowledge into practice!
When I first commenced my placement with the KABC, I was intimidated by the workload as I was in charge of a research project all by myself. I lacked the self confidence in being in charge of such a big project but thanks to my helpful supervisor and colleagues, I have managed to successfully complete the report for the KAB and receive good feedback on my work.
I have learnt so many things through my placement such as ways to conduct interviews and carrying out research as well as writing up a formal report for the organisation. I am more confident in my ability now after the exposure in the corporate world.
Happy graduating and all the best in your future endeavors!
Post a Comment