Sunday, July 22, 2012

Life after my PR Placement...

So it has been a week since I finished my PR placement in Melbourne and I am ready to finish my degree so i can enter the workforce! I learnt a lot at my placement and met some really valuable contacts that I am definitely going to keep in touch with over the next few months. Now that I have seen what it will be like once working in the PR industry, there are a few measures that I am going to take before seeking a job;

  • Updating my resume with my placement details. 
  • Collect and store any PR coverage that I helped to gain while at the placement e.g. Magazine clippings, press releases, PR documents etc.   
  • Do a short graphics design course - i think this will be very useful on the job. 
  • Keep in contact with my supervisor. 
  • Pass all my remaining units so I can join the workforce!
I feel very lucky to have been able to go to Melbourne to complete my placement in a big organisation like The Just Group and now know that this is the kind of company that I want to find a job with. I hope everyone else doing the PR Placement unit enjoys the experience and learns as much as I did. I look forward to reading everyones experiences!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So glad you enjoyed your placement and found it beneficial. Did it make you think that the opportunities in our industry are all based in the eastern states?

Unknown said...

I think the opportunities in Perth are there but they are very limited and you would need to be very well connected in order to receive one. Sydney and Melbourne are home to the head offices of a lot of the big brands and boutique consultancies that focus on this industry therefore i think better opportunity lies in the Eastern states. This is where I will be heading in a few months.