Monday, July 30, 2012

New Girl AKA the New Manager

“Well I have finally got one!” That is what I told myself once I was asked to come in to the Department of Sport and Recreation’s Communication department for work experience.
After many long hours of re-editing, re-typing and beautifying many different resumes to suit many different work places to find a placement, I finally got one.
It was after I went to a cv workshop organised by the Curtin Business Club (which I highly recommend) where I would find so many bad things about my resume even I wouldn’t want to hire myself.
 From then on, I got a placement almost instantaneously. However, I wasn’t sure if it was my resume that got me the gig, or the fact that DSR Comms are absolutely swamped and need the extra help.
Any who, I was quiet content at getting a placement in sport as that has been my three year goal throughout university; To work in the sporting industry doing PR or Advertising alike.
My parents were wrapped, both being teachers all there life, they are very fond on government work. Although, my perceptions on working in government was boring, day-by-day procedures, ‘same-ole, same-ole’ protocols..etc..etc.
But it’s totally not! First day I arrived I met my supervisor and it was great to put a face to her emails. She is very cool, very flexible and has a lot of knowledge in working in public relations. She showed me my desk with computer, username, password, email, pen, paper, stapler the whole set up. I felt really welcomed.
She then said she has told everyone that I am the new manager!
So the story goes, they have been without a manager for about one month now and a lady named Emma was due to arrive the same week I was, however, she was offered a different job and bailed on the last minute.
My supervisor being the crack-up she is thought it was quiet hilarious that our names happen to be the same and she would play a little trick on others in the office to say I was the new manager. After a few introductions and puzzled and bemused faces later, it became the office joke of the day.
A week later, I got to know everyone in the office and we were all enjoying a nut hamper compliments of Emma (the real professional) as an apology. It had nuts, seeds and pumpernickel?? (Seriously grose!)But the peanuts were delicious.
Enough about jokes and food, I have learnt a lot at uni, from media releases, speeches and planning events. Working here has given me the practical side of things were I am writing the media releases, taking photos, doing email and phone interviews. Everything I was taught at uni has actually been applied to real life, who would have thought!
What’s better, is I am genuinely interested in the stuff I write about. For the first week I cranked out about 15 media releases all to do with kids doing sport in the community. I wrote a media release for the yearly NAIDOC Netball Carnival and then I typed a ‘media alert’ to get the local news papers and The West Australian to come down to the NAIDOC Netball Carnival to do a story. I went to the carnival, took photos and did an interview with a community member about the benefits of the carnival.
The great thing I love is that I’m not sitting behind a desk punching numbers in a database all day. I get to go out to event launches, photo shoots, conduct interviews and sit in on important meetings.
I have become really comfortable with writing emails and talking on the phone, even meeting new people face to face shaking their hand. It’s the little things I didn’t thing would benefit me, that have impacted me the most.
Until next time.... or until another crack up office joke.
Emma

No comments: