Sunday, August 26, 2012

An all you can eat buffet of the consulting world

Four weeks, or eight days, into my placement at Shine Communications and I've sampled all kinds of delicacies. From somewhat menial tasks like collecting media clippings, to amazing opportunities, like writing almost an entire annual report for a client.

Shine is a small consultancy, based in Marmion, that specialises in media relations, clear communications and events management. It's client base is formed for the most part, by not-for-profits, with a few private sector clients thrown in there too. My supervisor, Ruth, is also an avid dog lover and does pro-bono work for the Shenton Park Dogs' Refuge Home. More information about the consultancy can be found at www.shinecommunications.com.au.

Completing my placement at such a small consultancy was initially a daunting thought, but being thrown straight into the deep end has actually proved highly beneficial. There is no feeling more rewarding than being asked to take a stab at a task and "see how you go", to be told upon completion that it needs "a couple of tiny tweaks" before being sent straight to the client for approval.

The tasks my supervisor has already had me complete are both numerous and varied, they include;
  • Writing media releases
  • Proof reading
  • Key message documents
  • Annual report writing
  • Social media communication analysis
  • Social media recommendations
  • Interviewing
  • Writing a story on the Dogs' Home from scratch
  • Website copy writing
And those are just the tasks I can remember without looking through my journal. Suffice it to say, that already I've done more than I could have hoped for before starting my placement.

From my first three weeks at Shine I have already learnt of the dire importance of time management, and an ability to juggle multiple tasks at one time. Prioritising is the key. It is also essential to ensure you have another task you can get on with, while you're waiting for a client to email or call you back. That's where the aforementioned juggling comes in, in the consulting world, as you have numerous and varied clients with different needs, it is important to be able to keep on top of all work. You must be able to switch from one client and project to the another, without wasting valuable time refreshing yourself with the client.

Probably the most difficult thing I have found in my first few days at Shine is my lack of knowledge of what each client does, compared to Ruth's. And of course, this is natural. But I have found it to be slightly inhibiting when being given a new task on a new client.

Overall, this placement has proved to be a fabulous experience and learning opportunity thus far. With the numerous and varied tasks I have already been asked to complete, it truly feels like I'm sitting at the table in a fancy resturaunt with a delicious tasting plate put in front of me, free of charge.

Can honestly say I'm looking forward to starting Day 9 tomorrow, and finding out what new task I may be asked to do.


Elizabeth Gall
Curtin - Bently

1 comment:

StephSbrocco said...

Hi Beth,

What an exciting first eight days you have had! Working in a consultancy must be great because you are privy to so many different client needs and you are constantly doing something different.

Throughout our studies at university we always try to manage our time with our assignments and try and plan ahead. However, it is such an interesting turnaround when we go to our placement and have to time manage different tasks and without the completion of one task, we cannot complete the next in some cases.

Good time management reflects a high level of professionalism and organisation and clients and colleagues will want to work with you. What kind of message would we be sending as interns if our work is messy and rushed and all over the place?

At my placement organising the City to Surf, I have also found that I have to quickly adapt to good time management and time is precious! It is amazing how quickly time can go!

I look forward to hearing more about your placement!

Steph Sbrocco