Friday, August 17, 2012

First Steps In a New Workplace


I have been accepted as an intern into the In-House marketing team at Hames Sharley in Subiaco. This a national (previously international) architecture, interior design, urban development and landscaping company with branches in each state with the exception of Tasmania. The marketing department seems fairly young as it only consists of the National Marketing Director who has been there five years and her Marketing Assistant, both stationed in WA. Therefore, the marketing department also handles all PR. With such a small team, I get the attention and heaps of hands on experience I probably wouldn’t get in a larger organization because they can allocate larger responsibilities when they are busy going about their job which is quite often under the pump.

Over the past two weeks I have learned the following things:
1. Two days at an internship makes it extremely hard to complete tasks in their entirety.
2. Unforeseen circumstances on the way to work can really dampen your efforts for a good impression
3. Being the new girl on the block has its pros and cons when it comes to getting things done

Despite a full on schedule of part time work two days per week and full time studies at Curtin, I decided two days of work at an internship unpaid, would work out. So far it has, but it’s not easy. I find myself saying, it is so frustrating only being in here two days per week. It sounds crazy with all of my pre established commitments but the reason for this, is that when your organization provides tasks that have a one week or two week deadline if you’re lucky, 15hrs isn’t enough when you spend most of the time trying to figure out where you left off the previous day or week. It also makes it difficult when you’re learning new skills. Without continuous repetition, I found myself asking the same questions, making myself feel like an annoyance distracting them from their work.

On my third day (a Monday), I decided to leave my house about 10-15 minutes later than usual as I had been around 30 – 40 minutes early. It’s hard to judge when you take public transport from Kwinana to Subiaco. Several factors have to be considered such as train parking, train times, connecting train times and the walk to work. This means, even leaving 10 – 15 minutes later can cause disaster which is exactly what happened. A car accident on Beeliar Dr backed traffic up so far down the freeway, that by the time I got Cockburn train parking, I would have been lucky to have been on time without the issue of no parking anywhere I went. I then had to wait until 8:30 to call and explain my predicament which they couldn’t solve either so I had to turn around and go home. I gave the worst impression for it only being my third day.

The other challenge I found right off the bat was simply being the new student on the block. With the marketing department already fairly young and small, it was hard enough for them to get the respect and open communication they desired in a room full of serious architects and designers. This just puts my role into perspective. They threw me in the deep end with tasks of drafting media releases that required gleaning information off directors and project leaders. This is harder than you think and so time consuming referring back to my first point when you play email tag trying to set up a good time to speak. It is also very intimidating in a new place, speaking with senior colleagues who don’t necessarily take you seriously when they have many other matters at the top of their priority lists. Needless to say, it took my first release about a month until actual completion.

No comments: