I can’t believe I’m already a week into my internship! Its true when people say time fly’s when
you’re having fun! I never thought I would have fun at work but I am really
enjoying the working life. I am staying in Windsor (45minutes out of central
London), even though I have been to London before but I have never experienced
the working life in London. It is so hectic, with the amount of people around
and the busy tube lines! But it’s so exciting at the same time to be amongst
all the buzz and see the true WORKING London lifestyle! I never thought I would be driving past
Windsor castle every day to get to work, or working a few tube stops away from
Buckingham palace, Hyde Park and Harrods but I absolutely love it!
This week was another interesting, hectic and exciting week. Throughout university we are constantly taught about ethics and what to do in crisis situations and how to prepare for them. On Monday morning, I started off my second week of work experience by attending a crisis insider club breakfast with two other colleagues at a private members club called The Hospital Club, in Covent Garden (central London). This was a very interesting experience as there were people from all different companies, who came together to listen to the founder and CEO from Seat wave- Joe’s experience in a crisis situation and also heard from a journalists point of view. Here is the link to seat wave website: http://www.seatwave.com/.
This week was another interesting, hectic and exciting week. Throughout university we are constantly taught about ethics and what to do in crisis situations and how to prepare for them. On Monday morning, I started off my second week of work experience by attending a crisis insider club breakfast with two other colleagues at a private members club called The Hospital Club, in Covent Garden (central London). This was a very interesting experience as there were people from all different companies, who came together to listen to the founder and CEO from Seat wave- Joe’s experience in a crisis situation and also heard from a journalists point of view. Here is the link to seat wave website: http://www.seatwave.com/.
The way in which Joe handled the crisis, related back to
what is learnt at uni, including having a crisis management team on hand 24/7,
acting quickly but calmly and approaching the situation in an honest manner to
keep consumers informed. In this situation, Joe used social media (Facebook and
Twitter) to help communicate the situation to their audience. By listening to Joe’s experience and the way
in which he effectively used social media, such as Twitter and Facebook made me
realise the true effect of social media and its
ability to communicate with thousands and millions of people at once and
in such an efficient way. Joe was able to tweet and reply to Facebook posts
whilst the crisis was unfolding- responding promptly and honestly. I was very
glad to be asked to attend this meeting, as it showed me great insight into
handling crisis situations and also allowed me to recognise the importance of
preparing for all types of crisis situations, as we are regularly taught during
university. At Chivas Brothers, there is a crisis management procedure and they
also have constant emails from media databases which prompt the communications
and public relations team when any important information on the business or
industry is found. This is to keep up dated and well informed of what is
happening within the alcohol industry.
This week I also attended many meetings including:
- Meeting with agencies that were pitching their ideas for the brand 'Royal Salute'. I had to take notes and identify in a table format which agencies met the brief best and which agencies had creative strategies which are best suited to the Royal Salute product.
- Meeting with the head of internal communications to get an idea of how internal comms works in the Chivas Brothers office. I was also allocated to write an article on the Cannes Film Festival which Chivas Regal sponsors and this article will be published in their internal magazine.
- Attended key messages meetings, were they were identifying this year’s key messages for Chivas Regal, Beefeater gin and Ballantine’s whisky for marketing and PR purposes.
- Sat in on a conference call with John Doe, discussing ideas for this year’s Ballantine’s golf event.
I found most of these meetings interesting as I know all
these brands and is intriguing to see how the marketing and PR works behind the
scenes. Sometimes I felt the meetings weren't that relevant for me to listen to
as I couldn't contribute much, however it was still useful to see how the
meetings and conference calls take place and to hear some very creative and
exciting ideas.
Next week I'll be working on my Cannes Film Festival article
and evaluation on how the event went in comparison to previous years, which I
am looking forward to. Until then!
Gemma O'Hart
3 comments:
Wow Gemma, you are so lucky to be able to have such a great opportunity to complete your placement in London with such a well established organisation. It will be a great chance to make some contacts for future employment. Good luck with writing your article for the internal magazine, I'm sure you will do a great job. I look forward to reading about the rest of your experience.
Gemma your placement sounds amazing!! the meetings you are attending are a great look into the real world and i am sure you are learning lots even if it is not directly related to PR. i think it is great how you have seen the use of social media in a real circumstance, avenues such as facbook and twitter can be great tools for public relations people and all companies to use for many reasons. Using it to keep in touch with stakeholder on a larger scale, and also how quick it can be, it gives us a glimpse into the future and how companies can use these media tools to their advantage especially in a crisis management situation. information can be given to stakeholder quickly and efficiently and also allows people to feel connected to the company and issues occurring. Good luck for the rest of you placement!!!
Thanks Girls! Hope you are enjoying your placements too!
Post a Comment