As this is my first work experience position I had no idea what to expect! As soon as I walked in I felt very comfortable and ready to get to work! I work in a small office with about four other ladies all of whom are very kind and facilitating.
WAYJO at the moment is very busy as its due to celebrate its 40th anniversary next year! This means gaining sponsor and alumni support is even more important as they plan for the numerous events and programs in the next coming months. This is wonderful for me as there's a lot for me to do!
Due to WAYJO being a not-for-profit organisation I've been given a variety of tasks. These tasks include; creating a media contact list, updating and adding to sponsor and school contact lists, written an editorial on an upcoming jazz artist, designed event flyer's, contributed to the format of the new website, created a list of free web event listing sites, published WAYJO event details to event listing websites, and resolved returned emails.
I'm very much appreciative of my unit coordinators as they've always covered material that is associated with non-for-profit organisations. It is only now I understand the true differences of PR roles in profit and non-for-profit organisations that I've been taught throughout my degree. The skills I've learnt from my PR units have been vital in my role at WAYJO and additionally give me the confidence to attack the new tasks assigned.
So far I have learnt so much and have really enjoyed my placement! I'm looking forward to learning and experiencing more at WAYJO!
Bye for now,
Christina
1 comment:
Hi Christina,
It sounds like your placement at WAYJO has got off to a great start! When I started my internship I also didn’t know what to expect but like you have experienced the staff are always welcoming and are really grateful just to have some extra help in the office and even some fresh ideas!
Being involved in the lead up to such a big anniversary must be really exciting to see and I am sure it will provide you with great insight in to all the different aspects that go in to coordinating a range of events and securing coverage. You have already been given the opportunity to work on a variety of tasks allowing you to apply different skills learnt from our PR units at university, something I have found myself doing constantly!
As you have said majority of our PR units have focused material on not-for-profits and its great you now get to see a not-for-profit organisation in action. I guess it just proves how everything we have learnt at university will directly relate and help us in our transition in to professional public relations when we graduate!
Enjoy the rest of your placement! I am looking forward to hearing more!
Caitlyn Tolj
14842733
Post a Comment