Monday, September 17, 2012

Festival Season is upon us!


I was very much looking forward to writing this blog entry. I am about a quarter way through my internship and have thoroughly been enjoying every minute. Since it’s been a while since my first blog, I thought it was about time to update you on my time here at Sunset.

There is one thing that I have learnt, the general public does not know how much work goes into organizing an event, and the volume and quality of work that is undergone through the planning period is incredible. Recently, the team at Sunset travelled up to Port Hedland to host the inaugural Northwest music Festival. This festival featured such artists such as the hilltop hoods, the Living End and the cat empire. The event was deemed highly successful! One of the tasks I was given was to construct a publicity report to be presented at a debriefing of the event. I was to compile all the pre and post event advertising regarding the festival, and to label it accordingly. Such advertising included newspaper articles, magazine articles and online advertising. This publicity report can give feedback to the amount of coverage it was given in the lead up to the event, and can give an adequate response to see how the event was perceived by all involved. 



With the Northwest Festival wrapped up, it was onto the next! As we are approaching the busiest time of the year, festival season; planning was in full force for Stereosonic and Southbound music festivals. As there were numerous artists playing at Southbound my task was to research the particular artists performing to enquire on they had any upcoming single or album releases. By having an artist having an upcoming release it could be intertwined with the promotional and marketing activities surrounding a particular event. 






As a lover of music festivals myself, I can safely say that I give credit and respect to the Sunset team and other similar promoters for the amount of time and effort placed into organizing a one day event. Working at an events company such as Sunset, it isn’t your ordinary 9-5-weekday job and what I’ve learnt is the work never stops even! The environment at Sunset is such an easy going and comfortable environment and like angel said, “it has to be for the amount of time that we spend here".
Until my next blog!



1 comment:

Lauren Hannah said...

Great Blog Tahlia!

I would have LOVED to complete my internship at Sunset Events. I am also a fellow festival goer, so can definitely appreciate all the work that goes into festivals. Hope you enjoy the rest of your time!

Lauren