Tuesday, September 11, 2012

INSTIGATING INSTAGRAM - SOCIAL MEDIA MANIA


As the forms of social media communication tools continue to grow, the demand for organisation to keep up is increasing!

Welcome to my second reflection on my placement at the one40william division owned by Jones Lang LaSalle. It has been a busy past few weeks as one40william prepares to enter re-development stage at the 140 Perth sector.

In today’s technology driven society, social media has taken the forefront of corporations communicating and engaging with their stakeholders. Although one40william currently has a Facebook page  and a Twitter account  and a 140 Blog on their website, 140 has recently entered the INSTAGRAM photo sharing world.



TIME TO INSTIGATE INSTAGRAM AT 140
As a result of the social media meeting that I attended regarding 140’s new INSTAGRAM strategy, I was given the role to liaison with Caitlin from Zebra (an organisation that specializes in social media and web design). We both set out to take interesting and creative shots of 140, to capture that unique brand image. It is a creative and exciting role that allows me to utilize the 140 brand position and interact with the retailers.

I was fortunate enough to experience and be a part of the step-by-step process required to create and form a social media tool. Steps were taken to ensure that the photos taken represented the 140 brand and in turn were able to capture the interest and attention of those whom were scrolling down their INSTAGRAM photo feed. Through the use of bright colours, two creative minds and bringing ideas beyond the ‘normal product’ Caitlin and I were able to capture images that were out of the ordinary. It proved that to be different is to think differently when using social media to communicate with your customers in today’s social media realm.

As 140 Perth has recently begun its social media exposure on INSTAGRAM it is receiving great support and exposure. Not only communicating 140’s brand tag line “The 140 Difference” but also promoting the retailers and the products offered at 140 Perth.

To view such creative and interesting images from 140 Perth, search ‘140 Perth’ on INSTAGRAM.



TODAY’S SOCIAL MEDIA
From Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin, Blogspot, YouTube…the options are endless! The large range of social media communication tools are highly accessible to corporations. However, through personally seeing social media used in a real life communication sense proves that the planning and management of social media is essential to ensure that it is effective and stands out from competitors.

As a result of my experience with initiating INSTAGRAM for the 140 brand, I found the most essential aspect was the planning period. Planning was the most significant step to ensure that when images were released to the public that they were stimulating and enticing. Therefore the planning and periodic management of such a social media tool is crucial to ensure that 140 does not fade into the INSTAGRAM background but leads the forefront of creativity.

I am enjoying every aspect of my placement as the day’s fly by at one40william. To finally be completing an internship instead of casually volunteering at events has proven to be exciting, insightful and allows me to use my creative ideas.


Until next time,

Alexandra Wheeler 

1 comment:

Gemma Edwards said...

Hi Alexandra,

Aren't you thankful we are from Gen-Y?! I believe it gives us the upper hand in terms of managing social media - after all we use it all the time in our personal lives!

Social media is such a feasible and accessible way for many companies to communicate with their stakeholders in cost effective manner. I bet you're grateful for your university assignments that incorporated social media tools. Having exposure to Facebook, Twitter, Blogger and Instagram I'd imagine would be beneficial to the implementation of the One40William social media plan.

I've had the chance to look at the One40William photo stream on Instagram and I have to say, WOW! Your creativity with each shot is amazing. They're all unique and enticing in their own way.

Where I undertook my internship at Professional Public Relations there is a social media strategist dedicated to providing direction, planning and the implementation of social media plans. PPR is such a large consultancy they have the ability to specialise and diversify into different areas of PR. For example there is a Senior Counsel dedicated to media training and an Account Manager who specialises is stakeholder engagement. PPR's staff work together to provide a holistic PR service to an extensive client list.

Enjoy your last week of semester and good luck with writing your report.

Kind regards,
Gemma Edwards
14280197