Monday, September 3, 2012

The Jazz Event of the Year!

Hello Again,


So after weeks of preparing for the Mike Stewart and Sarah McKenzie Concert with WAYJO it had finally arrived!


Since I've been at WAYJO I've been set tasks focused on the Mike Stewart and Sarah McKenzie concert. There are three events in which we had to prepare for: a schools excursion concert during the day, the big concert at night and the VIP's event before the show.

One of the major roles I was given was in regards to the Mike and Sarah for Schools Excursion. For this concert I spent my days liaising with teachers across the metropolitan Perth area. This was a very scary task for me as I was not yet use to calling up people I didn't know. It was soon after the first few phone calls that my confidence had sky rocketed as I found the most efficient ways to communicate with teachers. What I learnt was that teachers are very informal in communications, preferring a more relaxed environment. I also noticed that they’re not always on top of things, so they really appreciate reminders and direct communications such as phone calls. Many hadn’t even gotten round to checking their emails from the previous month!

Finding out about my audience was really helpful as I discovered what they wanted to hear and how they wanted to hear it. Talking to the teachers was actually quiet rewarding as they were very receptive to an open two way communication flow about the event. Now I understand the value in what my tutors and lecturers have taught me throughout my degree; that getting to know your audience in every aspect allows you to maintain and create a strong positive relationship with your stakeholders.

It was such a shame that I was unable to see the Mike and Sarah for Schools Concert and appreciate the results of my communications but the main concert needed all hands on deck! The day of the big concert was very manic, I spent most of the day updating the final guest list and creating the seating plan for the VIP’s. This was very exhilaration as my job was to make sure that every guest was accounted for, and I was still receiving new names up until the last minute! You could imagine my stress.


After the list was finally finalized I rushed to get ready and headed to the theatre where I was to give out name badges and tickets to the VIP's. If I thought handling the guest list was stressful then I was very much mistaken. Many tickets had not yet been put into each guest’s envelope, therefore tickets had to be manually found and accounted for in front of the guest which was not ideal. From this experience I realized that no amount of theory in the class room can prepare you for the stress and pressures of running an event.

I spent many days focusing on; sending out event information to websites, writing an editorial about Sarah McKenzie, designing flyers and other related tasks. Therefore, it was such a thrill to see the event come together and be a massive hit! I specifically remember hearing the words sold out at the box office whilst attending to our full VIP guest list. It was such an amazing feeling to know that all our hard work had paid off! Take a look at the following link for more information regarding the main event: http://wayjo.com/event/mike-stewart-sarah-mckenzie-with-wayjo/.

I now look forward to getting back into the office and gaining more experience in PR at WAYJO.

Goodbye for now!

Christina

No comments: