Right now I am ten days into my placement and absolutely loving it.
I am at INPEX which is a worldwide oil and gas exploration and production with more than 70 active projects globally. I have been working within the External Affairs team which consists of 13 members all of whom are extremely passionate about the work they do and have been more than happy to lend me a hand or answer any questions I might have. Working within such a large and diverse company has certainly broadened my scope of the Public Relations world as to just how much time and effort goes into every event, every media release and every decision made behind closed doors.
It is a very busy time at INPEX as they are in the construction phase of the Ichthy's LNG Project, a world class project implemented to develop the gas and condensate field in the Browse Basin, the biggest of its kind it is expected to produce LNG for the next 40 years and represents the largest discovery of hydrocarbon liquids in Australia in the last 40 years.
Last week I attended a meeting regarding the new implementation of a social media outlet internally amongst employees at INPEX, this social media platform is called Yammer and is essentially a Facebook for the work place, I was more than intrigued as to how the company would get all employees on board in order to establish new and broader channels of communication within the company. Little did I know that it was me who would be developing a communication plan over the next few days as to how this implementation of a new social media platform would work. I was originally terrified at the thought of having to develop and present my plan to the highest levels of management but it turned out to be an extremely rewarding experience.
At University we are given weeks to produce communication plans for major assignments and we are generally in groups, I had three days to complete the plan and all I had was my own ideas and a doubt as to whether they would be good enough or not. You really don't understand how hard PR professionals work to produce such documents at such a high standard and in such a short amount of time. For the next three days I barely left my desk, not even to eat and at the end of it all I had produced something worthy of showing my supervisor and upper management, I was proud of the work I had done as were they.
For now I have a meeting scheduled with the manager in charge of social media at INPEX to present to him my plan and my ideas for getting all employees involved and onboard with the new social media platform, but I now feel confident enough to go into that meeting with my own ideas ready to present.
I certainly hope in a future blog post I can let you know how that meeting went!
I am really excited about the challenges my placement holds for and I now understand why people say this unit is one of the most rewarding!
Until next time..
Hayley
Welcome to PR Internship - YOUR opportunity to put everything you have learned over the past years at university into practice and to get a thorough insight into what public relations is like "in the real world". This Blog allows you to reflect on your experiences, share insights with other students across campuses and to possibly give advice and support to fellow students. Please also see http://printernship-reflections.blogspot.com.au/ for more reflections
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hi Hayley,
Sounds like such an amazing opportunity to get to work for INPEX! I've personally always wondered what it would be like to work at a mining organisation so I appreciate your insight! It's fascinating to hear the broad spectrum of PR used in a mining company as we don't cover them as much as other organisations in class, unless we’re learning about crisis situations.
It's such a wonderful opportunity for you to get given such a major project for this organisation. I know from our studies that for a large corporate company internal communications are very important as they have many employees and sectors! I remember learning about how to improve internal communications, and with such a large organisation the idea of having an internal social media platform is such a good idea! For you to be able to create an implementation plan for the project must have been such an amazing and rewarding experience. Sounds like you did a good job in developing the plan even with all that pressure, so well done! I'm sure the social media manager will be just as impressed!
Good luck and I can't wait to hear more about your experience with INPEX!
Christina 14823958
Hi Hayley.
Sounds like a great placement you've secured. I miagine the oil and gas industry would be among the most interesting sectors for public relations work - particularly if your company is in the midst of a project at Browse Basin.
Did you get the opportunity to complete any tasks relating to community engagement? With the activism occuring as a result of the Browse project, there must be significant scope for interesting public relations work.
It's great that you've been given the responsibility to develop the intern social media platofrm. By the sounds of it Yammer acts as a HR or employee relations tool, which correlaates to what we've learnt at uni. Employess are obviously a key stakeholder of any organisation and keeping them content is important.
Thanks for the post.
Dean Stacey
Post a Comment