Thursday, October 11, 2012


It’s my first day

23/07/2012

Apologies for the lack of currency for the following blog posts, I have been writing the blogs and then burying them in my laptop. 

I had received an email about this unit “Professional Practice”, at the time I was living in London as part of student exchange and the last thing I wanted to do after 6 months of traveling and abusing my alcohol intake was work in a professional environment.  I had somehow scored placement at Perth Glory and I was absolutely rapt to do so.

After a meeting with media manager Steve Nelkovski it got me thinking that PR could be a potential career path. When I was in high school just mucking around on Seek to avoid studying for TEE, I came across a job advertised with the Sydney Swans as a media manager (I’m a fanatical Swans supporter). I had always wanted to be a sports journalist but that job got me thinking about heading into a media manager direction, I soon grew out of the idea but the meeting with Steve brought me back to it and it’s now probably the “Dream Job”.

My first day was at a pre season match against the WA State Team, for the day I was involved in the events department and was basically “The Glory Bitch”. One of my jobs was to sort out Perth Glory’s banana situation; I went to pick up 50 bananas from IGA and went to drop them into the change rooms when I got my first experience of meeting the players. I ran into Jacob Burns (Captain) as I went in and genuinely had to just calm myself down. As the night progressed I was involved in more relevant jobs to PR but I guess that’s just what event management is like, you always need to expect the unexpected. Prior to arriving to the ground did I expect to be handing out slightly over ripe bananas to half naked soccer players? It was doubtful, but lesson learned.

Cheers for reading

Mike

No comments: