Thursday, October 11, 2012


Glory MC McCarren

(12/08/2012)

My second day with Perth Glory was more related to a media role, which I was pretty, excited about. I was to be the MC for the pre season game against Inglewood United. I sat up in the media box and was handed a microphone and a script followed by the order “Read”. I was pushed into the deep end a bit but I suppose that’s the only way to do it, sink or swim. I announced the players for both teams; I’ll admit I did struggle with a few of the last names, which I may have just mumbled over. I plugged all the sponsors and the location of the merchandise tent as well as called the goals and substitutions for the game.

A low point was when I missed one of the goals due to my wandering eye with one of the cheerleaders. I was sitting next to a few players who were sitting this game out and I asked them who scored, they told me who scored and I announced who had scored…at least who I thought had scored…they had stitched me up! Welcome to change room banter McCarren.

I should have known as the player they told who scored actually plays a heavily defensive role. The spectators were freezing and wet so I don’t think anyone noticed and if they did I brought them right back with my amazing half time announcement of where the food and beverage stalls were. I really enjoyed this role as MC and apparently I’ll be doing a lot more throughout the rest of the pre season games!

Something that got me thinking was the low level of spectators. An inkling feeling was that the people that made up the numbers were actually Inglewood United player’s parents and not Glory supporters getting down to see new signings. I wasn’t sure if it was advertised too well, prior to this I didn’t even know they had preseason games.  Regardless it was a great experience and Glory won 4-0! Bring on The Roar!

Cheers for reading

Mike

No comments: