Thursday, October 11, 2012


Redemption days,  No Guts no Glory

07/10/2012

I couldn’t do placement at Perth Glory and not blog about the grand final re-match against the Brisbane Roar at Patterson’s stadium! It was epic; the hype surrounding the club about this day was genuinely significant. After losing the grand final to a controversial (It wasn’t a penalty) injury time penalty today was about seeking revenge at a home crowd on a new ground. I was granted an all access pass to the stadium so naturally I went on a self guided tour of the stadium and went into every single box I could including the coaches box followed by reenacting most of soccer’s finest moments on the pitch. Once I was done with those “jobs” I helped set up the ground and organised the volunteers.  As the crowd started to get progressively larger the atmosphere was rivaling some EPL games. 

The Glory faithful were in full voice and wanted sweet revenge. As soon as Berisha came onto the ground the members of the “Shed” gave him everything. Besart Berisha is the Roar striker and is the player who was awarded the controversial penalty (It wasn’t a penalty, he dived.) I was originally supposed to sit in the media box during the game but I heard they didn’t have enough people as stretcher-bearers so I immediately volunteered myself. With this job you are required to sit on your arse and watch the game 3 meters away from the pitch and if required (It hardly ever happens) stretcher a player off if a serious injury is sustained. Easily the best seats in the house! Glory won the game 1-0 after a superb cross from Jamieson, followed Mehmet getting on the end of it and finding the back of the net with an timely header. 



(Glory warming up: Best seats in the house.)

After the celebrations I went down to the rooms for the post game press conferences with both coaches and selected players. This is the part that really interested me on the day and I can’t wait to work in the industry.

I’m really looking forward to really getting involve in game day over the season with Glory as well as club based events. I’ve certainly learnt a lot already and I’m sure I’ll learn much more. 

No comments: