Friday, October 5, 2012

Big-ups for social media vigilance!


 Two major elements when deciding on public relations activities are determining the objective and the message being sent out. But, before a public relations practitioner can do these, he/she has to have a good grasp of the company. After doing that, that practitioner can then tailor the message to the intended audiences. 

 












The environmental company I work for has a message to convey and summed up in two words, it is ‘go green’. I now understand the company and have embraced the values. I realised that understanding concepts regarding the industry in which this company operates became very simple upon being interested in the cause. This simply goes to show the importance for public relations practitioners to identify with at least some of the values of a company for them to be inspired to contribute to the success of that company.  

One of things I highly respect the company I work for is their dedication to the solar education and information online subsidiary Solar-e and its social media platforms, being Twitter and Facebook. Most of the updates are of interesting articles regarding solar power and energy efficiency. The Facebook and Twitter site is under consistent vigilance.
I hope some of you follow and like those pages if you are interested in renewable energy and would like to know more about it.
 
I wish I could say the same for the websites but that is sadly not the case. In fact, not all subsidiaries have websites. Even the webpage of the enterprise is not updated as regularly as it should be. 

This is all going to change because after talking to my supervisor about it, he agreed that there needs to be some changes to the websites. He said that I should work on that after doing the tasks I have already been given. I think this is a great honour as websites are ports of calls nowadays as that is most convenient. In order to come up with great ideas for the website, I will read some public relations articles about social media, have a look at other environmental companies’ websites and finally make notes about some of the necessary changes to the website.

1 comment:

Aimee French said...

I also had a similar experience at my placement regarding making changes to the company website.
The Craigie Leisure Centre wanted to update their website to make it more interactive and more accessible to the public.

I undertook similar activities to yourself to help the centre do this. I looked at the websites of other leisure centres to see what competitors were doing and what we could do to improve.

Unfortunately I won't be around to see these changes implemented but I will definitely be keeping on eye on the website to see their progress.
I hope you get to see some of the changes you suggested be used on the company website, it's definitely been an enjoyable activity for me.