So after 20 days I have come to the end of my placement at the
Department of Sport and Recreation. No more database, no more San Churros hot
chocolates and no more talking about sport twice a week. Despite realising
government work wasn’t for me, I was sad to go. I have thoroughly enjoyed
myself and learnt a lot.
As well as filling in some important skills gaps I have also
realised what I need to work on more. I need to feel more confident in my
contribution and what I have to say, I also need to practice my telephone
manner and not be so scared to pick it up and call someone. The most important
lesson I learnt however is that even after years of experience you never stop
asking questions. It was a relief for me to sit in staff meetings and have
people ask the same questions I had running through my head.
On my last day I made Anzacs for the staff and went out for
lunch in the beautiful sun. While I was sad to say goodbye I will always be
grateful for all the staff taking the time to say hi to me every day and for my
supervisor being patient with my many questions (some of which were relevant to
the task I was working on).
Government work is not for me, but I know sport is where I
want to be. I am hoping that in the coming weeks I will be called up to help
the not-for-profit organisation mentioned in my earlier blogs because it is a
perfect fit for and something I really want to be part of.
I hope everyone had a placement as enjoyable as mine!
4 comments:
Hi Lucy,
Seems like you had a great time at the DRS - even though you have realised Government is not for you.
I think it is important to experience the wide range of departments and areas that are available in the line of work we are hoping to do, which you have obviously done during your time at DSR.
Not for profit is a wonderful industry to work in especially if you are as passionate about it as you seem from your blogs.
All the best for the future!
Regards,
Hi Lucy,
It is so good to hear you enjoyed your placement and was able to make a decision about where you want to be in the future.
I was unsure about the not-for-profit industry of PR and that is where my placement was. After finishing my 20 days at Scitech I have decided to stay on as I have enjoyed it so much and am grateful for more experience.
I hope you find what you are looking for!
Brooke
Hi Lucy,
Sounds like you learnt about both yourself and the industry this semester. Moreover, it would be exciting for you to know the area you want to work in meaning you can sharpen your skills and make sure they stay relevant to where you want to be.
Hopefully you can be called up by the not-for-profit organisation because it sounds as though that's something you're really enthusiastic about.
All the best,
Mitchell Reardon
Hi Lucy,
It must be a good feeling to have a better understanding of which area of public relations you would like to work in. Even though you discovered that government work is not for you, you still learnt extremely valuable lessons whilst at your placement.
It is also great that you have come away with an understanding of what you need to work on in order to be a more confident practitioner.
I'm glad that you now know that sport is where your passion lies and i wish you look for the future.
Lauren Trevaskis
Post a Comment