Monday, October 8, 2012

My final week as a student



This will be my fourth and final blog and it feels like just yesterday I was searching for my placement. In this blog I will reflect on my internship and also point out the main things I have taken away. This placement opportunity has been a wonderful experience for me, in both learning and experiencing everything Public Relations has to offer. I have been able to fine tune the basic skills that are needed to work in the PR field. I have also had the opportunity to enrich my own personal knowledge about being in a practical field. I have learnt to differentiate between what I learnt at University and PR practiced in the real workplace, this has been very beneficial.

I will now be able to take away everything I have learnt and put it to practice in my next working adventure, I feel the most important thing I have experienced is my new found appreciation for what public relation can offer any organisation. When companies underestimate what PR can do for them they miss out on vital opportunities that could benefit them. I found this especially important in building a brand,  a brand can be see as the perceptions of consumers and its importance to any organisation, as it can make or break the success of a business.

Also PR can help the company build and maintain their relationship with their stakeholders, I understood the importance of having a good relationship with not just the public but also the internal and external stakeholders, it is important in building a brand that is known and trusted to continue being successful. Public Relation can offer any organisation so much opportunity and throughout my internship I have really experienced this first hand, the main thing I have realised is how interested I am about Public Relations. I am seeing the possibilities within any organisation, I am excited to graduate from Curtin University and begin the rest of my career, hopefully in a public relations field. 



1 comment:

nehsuhs said...

Hi Bethany,

I can imagine how you feel since I will be graduating soon as well. I wondered back then, the purpose of an internship, and now I finally come to realisation that we can learn so much more externally if compared to learning through the text books.

I agree with you on your new found appreciation for what PR can offer to the society. From my point of view, a PR person is what keeps the organization going in terms of building strong relationships among stakeholders and I think what we will become in the future will be of benefits. All the best in your future endeavors.

Kind Regards,
Wylie