Hi everyone,
Whilst my blog is coming to an end, it is not all over because in July this year I received a permanent position at Chevron in the Communications Team. I am extremely grateful for the opportunity, and the fact that I work with a wonderful, knowledgeable and fun team.
Prior to that, I was an administration assistant for Chevron’s Wheatstone Project for 2.5 years. I decided to study and work full time simultaneously because I knew that the relationships I built at work would be of equal value to receiving my university degree. So I pushed my way through my studies part time, and after six years at Curtin I can finally say I see the light at the end of the tunnel! I have one more semester to go after this, and then who knows! Perhaps I will study another degree!
In the last 3 months I have learnt a lot about the different aspects of PR in a large organisation. The PR team is called ‘Policy, Government and Public Affair’ (PGPA). The objective of the PGPA team is to develop and maintain the reputation Chevron needs with key external and internal stakeholders, and to obtain the levels of support necessary to achieve the business’ strategic objectives. There is a PGPA in every Chevron business unit around the world, with Australia possessing the biggest team. According to people in other PGPA teams around the world, we are referred to as the ‘A Team’, because we are leading the way in Chevron’s PR practices. I feel very proud to be a part of it!
As a whole, PGPA directly advocates Chevron's position to national and state government officials in Australia, develops policy positions aligned with business directions and company values, determines and manages the impact of potential and existing legislation and regulations on business operations, and coordinates the level and direction of the business unit's community investment. The efforts of PGPA support the performance and business objectives of Chevron by ensuring:
· Shareholders and financial communities understand our business priorities and performance.
· Government officials work with us fairly and efficiently.
· Chevron supports the communities where we operate, including helping local economies and personal well–being for residents.
· Business partners and customers see the advantages and value of working with us.
· Media outlets portray our company in a fair and balanced way.
· The Chevron workforce understands business priorities and direction.
Broken down, there are many smaller teams required to achieve this including Communications, Community Engagement, Climate Change, Brands and Events, Graphic Design and Issues and Reputation.
One of the main things that I have learnt during my short career is the importance of relationships. Everyone in the Energy PR world seems to know each other. I’d imagine that it would be the same in most industries. So I have prepared cheat sheets at my desk with photos and bios of all the people I need to know. Perhaps a bit extreme, but I have never been good at remembering names, so this is helping me!
One of the other main lessons I have learned is to read, read, read! Whether you are reading the newspaper or a good book, the more you read, the better your writing and communications skills will develop and mature.
My dream is to be a successful independent Resource and Energy PR consultant. To get to that level, I believe you need to understand the industry inside-out, and know everyone in it, so I hope that working for Chevron is putting myself in a strong position for the future.
Thanks for reading,
Georgie F
No comments:
Post a Comment