Friday, April 19, 2013

I am now in charge of YOU!


In case you are reading my blogs for the first time my practical placement is at Shine Communications in Marmion. It is a small consultancy with really only one member, Ruth Simpson who runs all operations. One our clients are the Shenton Park Dogs’ Home, whom Ruth does pro bono work for. It is a great organisation that takes in unwanted dogs and cares for them until they find their “forever” home.

Since starting at Shine a few weeks ago it has been my duty to find as many homes as possible for these gorgeous and loveable dogs by writing stories on each of them in the hope it gets in the local newspaper, creating awareness about the refuge and hopefully at the end of the day help get all those lonely dogs adopted.

So far I have written media releases for and supervised many photo shoots that have ended in stories being produced in the local paper, which is an absolute great feeling, for both the refuge and myself.

Over the past two weeks I have been working on a media release for the Home, which tells the story of a very generous couple donating $10,000 worth of turf for new exercise runs and grassed areas at the refuge, which if anyone has been to the refuge it’s desperately needed! A corporate volunteer day was put in place where many volunteers from Price WaterHouse Coopers and the community would go to the refuge and help lay out the turf. I wrote the media release for this and was very lucky when two local newspapers were interested and wanted to come down on the day for photos and further information. Being the one who wrote the release, my supervisor Ruth left me in charge of it all!

If there’s one thing I have learnt from this it’s that being in charge of a photo shoot is amazing! Especially when you get to be in charge of one of your old university tutors!

Yesterday when I went down to supervise the corporate volunteering day, I met the journalists and photographers and to my surprise my 2nd year journalism tutor David Cohen was there reporting on the story. It was actually really funny because for once I was in charge of him and ordered him around telling him what he could and could not do – absolutely brilliant feeling! I jokingly said to him “Ha! I am now in charge of you, oh how the roles have reversed” and he laughed and just took it, which I’m not going to lie, it secretly felt good.

The thing about photo shoots is that you have to be prepared for absolutely everything, especially if there are dogs involved! It took many takes for the photographers to get a photo with the volunteers and dogs actually standing still but in the end some brilliant photos were taken. Everything went really smoothly which was really great and my story actually made page 3 of The Post newspaper today, which was such a good feeling! It’s always nice when you see something good come out of the hard work you put in. The manager of the refuge also sent my supervisor an email saying how confident I was and that I am a great ambassador for her company and for the refuge, which she forwarded onto me, and this made me feel even better!

So far my time at Shine Communications has been absolutely amazing and I couldn’t ask for a supervisor any better than the one and only Ruth Simpson! At times it does get hard and I do feel like I struggle with writing but Ruth is always there encouraging me to just keep practicing and the more I do the better I’ll get which is absolutely true. I find that every week my writing is improving and there is less and less for Ruth to correct!

I must say that everything we learnt in public relations at university is completely relevant in the industry we have today. There are times when I was doing assignments and would think to myself, when would I ever need this in the real world? But I can tell you pretty much all of my university work has popped up somewhere in my practical placement, whether it be media releases, writing key messages for clients, organizing events, contacting journalists, organizing photo shoots etc it’s all there! And so far - I love it. 

No comments: