I'm back with my third blog post on my placement with zero2hero. Things have been getting busier, with two months to go before zero2hero day, our flagship event.
On the social media front, I've been asked to write up a strategy for z2h's new Pinterest account, then create and manage it. Ironically, given in my last blog post I mentioned how I was struggling with it! It fascinates me how social media platforms such as Pinterest and Instagram were primarily created for everyday users, but that businesses have started using these platforms and navigating them successfully. I've spent some time looking through Pinterest accounts trying to figure out what makes the popular ones so popular, and how to structure my boards. The function of our Pinterest wouldn't be to gain 'repins', but to have all our ambassadors' videos, committee pictures, and 'Everyday Heroes' in one place for easy viewing and access. It's a timely reminder that organisations need to be quick in identifying upcoming social media trends and platforms and figure out how to utilise these for their organisation's benefit. I never thought a charity could really utilise such a creative space like Pinterest, but Headspace (http://pinterest.com/headspaceaus/) has successfully done it!
zero2hero is currently working on getting a working Board together, and setting itself up with a proper charity status. One thing that interests me is the transition from a small, informally set-up organisation into a more accountable one. Suddenly, little details matter and everyone has to start realising that anything they do under the 'zero2hero' brand has to be documented, legally covered, and fit in with our mission and vision. For example, our founder has been meeting families and students and counselling them under the z2h name, and at a recent board meeting, it was pointed out that she probably shouldn't be doing this as it opens us to legal liability (as she is not a trained counsellor, nor does z2h offer counselling services). Becoming legitimate is hard work, and will probably result in even more restructuring! Ashlee is used to working with everything in her head, but we're slowly making the transition to putting everything on paper and ensuring everything is properly documented. z2h has never really been accountable to anyone, and the shift has required more boring but essential paperwork.
Lastly, the WA Youth Awards were presented last weekend, and our founder won in the 'Educate' category. I was in the middle of class when I got a call that I had to write up a press release about the award and send it off. This made me panic a little, as I had a full day of class! I found a quiet spot on campus, rushed to write it in the fifteen minutes that I had, and sent it out to our media contacts. I then spent the rest of the day fielding calls from journalists in between my commitments. It was a good reminder that PR rarely happens within the 9-5, and that timeliness is key. Despite the pressure, it still remains one of my favourite things about the profession.
I hope everyone else is enjoying your placements! :D
1 comment:
Hi Callie :)
While I was working on the 6 months marketing strategy for upcoming client, my supervisor asked me to write up a strategy focusing on the use of Pinterest. Outside of work, I'm a Pinterest addict, because I love everything about Pinterest and how a person has their own personality by using their own boards. However, creating ideas for a client that is a loan company targeting uni students was really hard.
When I read your post, it's great to know that every business uses Pinterest heavily and how it is one of those social media platform trends that every organisation has to get into it.
I'm glad you are enjoying your placement also! :)
Post a Comment