Every organization is
susceptible to going through crisis and often times during such a phase,
everyone thinks Public Relations people have to control the situation to uphold
the organization’s integrity. We think of external stakeholder communications,
press conferences, media monitoring etc. but ponder on this, do most people
ever consider thorough communication within the organization?
Many are times when a
conclusion will be made that the staff briefing and emails sent to employees on
the intranet email listing is enough. The important idea that employees are the
main internal stakeholders doing the daily manual work, which raises the
organization to success, seems to elude the Communications Departments. Exhaustive
communication and updates should be done at all times to ensure that the staff
is at par (in terms of crisis main details) with the rest of the other
stakeholders.
This is because employees
are ambassadors of the organization everywhere they go. They represent the
organization regardless of their office rank, if they are known to be a part of
an organization; they are among the first people to be interviewed by random
individuals of the public. If such happens and the employee is not well
equipped with accurate information, then there is a cause for concern. This is
because employee communications about the organization to outsiders can
significantly affect the organization’s reputation and effectiveness hence
precise information has to be communicated to the staff to arm them with the
shield of truth for the benefit of the organization.
However, not all
information has to be disclosed to employees as some may act as internal
activists during crisis. This can only create untimely issues for the
organization. Therefore, concise and precise briefings have to be conducted to
keep the staff updated. This will make them feel like a part of the
organization, that they have been thought off and are being considered as
victims as well. The employees will return the ethical gesture by being true to
their organization, if not, their conscience will convict them.
Finally,
leadership-employee relations will be strengthened. When employees trust their leadership,
there is an aura of tranquility during trying times of crisis. Work becomes
almost as normal knowing that the leaders are steering the organization in the
right direction. Good internal communications does play an important role in
crisis management within the ambassadors of the organization, who have the
ability to uphold the organization’s reputation and improve effectiveness
amidst catastrophic situations. Consequently, internal communications is
undeniably significant to public relations because if it is not fully
monitored, the work that Public Relations people do during crisis will not bear
fruit if employees decide to represent the organization in a destructive
manner.
4 comments:
Hi Faith,
I really enjoyed the way you ended this post discussing leader-employee relations. During my internship I would at times feel some of the workers in the office were to afraid to try new and different things because of the reaction they might get from one of their superiors.
of course me being the new kid on the block made me think I could change the world with all my 'original' and 'creative' ideas. Come in and make sweeping changes to established communication methods and revolutionise an organisation. I quickly came back down to earth and thought sensibly.
There is a level of respect that needs to be shown to leaders, however If if they are feared or unapproachable, an effective two way model of internal communication will not be achieved. I am interested to know whether you experienced any similar predicaments where there was a dissonance of power relationships, or even great leadership relations?
Hi Blair..
Thank you for your comment. Yes indeed, I also experience such a problem during my internship tenure.
It was the top management (not my immediate supervisors or fellow staff members) that did not have time for 'interns' and could sometimes only award you little time to say quickly how you want their assistance. Such an environment did not allow me as a practical learner to feel free to garner all the skills I needed from top management to fellow interns.
The problem was lack of communication and even team work between the management and the lower rank of employees- interns. There was no relationship whatsoever and performance of work that entailed the input of bot parties was poor. There was fear and lack of understanding the staff.
Fear brought in discomfort in the office and this affected my productivity level.
Nonetheless, I still maintained a smile when they walked me out of their offices, until they realized that I was more than persistent to work with them closely.
Fortunately, I managed to fix that for the benefit of the company. It was an important lesson to learn.
Hi Faith,
This entry really struck a cord with me because I think internal relations are so important also because I understand what you mean about superiors feeling unapproachable and unhelpful.
Many times in a company, whilst dealing with the crisis, the staff get overlooked and I believe this is the first mistake an organisation can make.
In my internship I had wonderful direct supervisors but there were some superiors that were difficult to cooperate with as they didn't seem to value the work I could achieve.
Like you said, it really does come down to a positive relationship between colleagues and superiors, starting with mutual respect. Definitely an important lesson for us to learn.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Lucy
Hello Lucy,
Thank you for your insightful comment. Indeed, it is true like you said that it is all about mutual respect and positive attitude around the office environment.
The experiences we had with fellow staff members during our internship tenures should leave a lifetime lesson in us because everywhere we work, we are bound to meet other individuals who disregard us and our work, but given our internship experiences, we can be able to overcome such a challenge.
Post a Comment