Friday, May 10, 2013

You can't get rid of me that easily!


Wednesday, 8th May 2013 was my 20th day at Via Appia NetworkingWA. It was extremely bittersweet. I must admit when I first began, I was so nervous and shy that I could not wait till my 20th day there so that I could just say ‘bye’ and leave for good. The thought of waking up before 8am on the upcoming Mondays and Wednesdays were killing me.

Yet, 20 internship days or 11 weeks later, I found myself not wanted to leave just yet! If I went through and listed all of the memories and things that I’ve learnt through this journey, this blog post would never end.

Before I began my internship at NetworkingWA, I had no idea that they were an intern-focused organisation – meaning that they primarily “hire” interns who are looking for an internship either to gain additional work experience or, like me, are looking to complete a placement unit for university. During the time that I was there, I met and befriended eleven different amazing girls whom I never would’ve met if not for this.

I’ve also developed a newfound respect for my bosses, Rebecca and Adriana for always being able to constantly deal with everything – mainly the ability to professionally deal with difficult clients. In addition, their feedback and constructive criticism on every piece of work has helped me grow a lot as a potential PR consultant.

My favourite part (as I’m sure you guys already know), was the adrenaline and satisfaction I get when I see my contribution being a part of something big! 

What I learnt most, was the importance of time management. Evidently, in the event industry, datelines are set at least two days before the event is being held and the process to plan the event would've taken at least six months. That might seem like a long time, but when the creativity and resource juices start to run tight, time just flies by.

The most challenging aspect of the whole industry, is locating resources within the budget. It's true, what most people say about events - they don't bring in profits. This just emphasises on the importance of sponsorship from other companies. Till today, it still surprises me on how difficult this is to achieve.

I will never forget this journey, as it is the first time I’ve been able to experience what it’s like to work in an event management company.

I couldn’t bare to leave just yet so I’ve decided to continue on with my internship until the end of semester! - just when they thought they could get rid of me ;)

I hope that all of you enjoyed your internships as much as I did for mine.
Thank you all for reading my blog posts :)

Don't forget to keep a look out on their website for any events that you may be interested in!

Laura Ng
14865060

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi there Laura, Kat here. I agree with you that planning an event can be time consuming in which I can relate because I am also interning for an event company, Momentum Forum Events.

Glad to hear that you have finished 20 days in Networking WA. As an intern to intern it can be tiring to wake up as early before 8 am but as you mentioned it is a learning process that we all adopt at the end of the day by respecting our colleagues, supervisor and bosses. Respect, time management and being responsible are just the few working traits that we all interns have adopt from our working place. Our units in university did teach us to have good internal communication within the organization, its not all about work but its also about a sense of belonging to be apart of seeing the outcomes of our working contribution to the placement.

I have taken a look at Networking WA website. Laura your placement sounds very interesting and keep up the good work! All the best!

asvin said...

Hey Laura,

Thats good to hear. When I ended my internship it was quite bitter sweet too but at the end of it I came out thinking, yes I could do this everyday, I absolutely loved it and glad you did too!

The people that work within this industry's do alot of work and are very organised as I learned in the first few days of my internship and you did too.

Good luck for your report!

Anonymous said...

Hi Laura,

I can relate to this feeling a lot. I found that as my internship was coming to an end that I was in no way ready to leave because I had such an amazing time learning on the job.

I too had to wake up very early and often found myself staying back very late - but as they say this is the world of PR as we know it!

Unfortunately sometimes you need to put in the hard yards and time to get to where you want to be.

Time management was also something that I struggled with as I found that the day would get away from me before I was ready. I have now discovered that you need to set yourself personal deadlines and times to get all of your work done.

Good luck with everything - you seem to be doing fantastic.

Regards,

Georgia

Kiranjeet said...

Hey Laura,

I have been following your blog posts and the work you have done throughout you internship looks great!

Throughout university there is only so much event planning we can practice in classes and nothing compares to the real deal although its great to see that you have been successful in the planning of events etc at your internship.

You mentioned that its a great feeling seeing your contribution and hardwork o display and i know exactly what you mean. Seeing my media releases posted online via the Shire website made me proud of my work and it also boosted self confidence and made me realise that this degree is worth the work!

Goodluck on your report :)