Wednesday, June 5, 2013

IN THE DEEP END



Every new challenge you face in life is likely to push you. This internship has most definitely been no exception having thrown me straight into the deep end.

Let me begin by telling you about how my placement started…

It was Thursday afternoon and I had been unable to focus on anything all day knowing that I had an Interview at 1pm with my potential placement employers. Professional presentation in check, my head held high, I marched into my interview determined to walk out with a secured placement. What I didn’t know was how much more I really would leave with.

My interview very quickly turned into somewhat of a client briefing and not only was I in but I had a media launch to organise in less than two weeks.  Filled with excitement I left the office on somewhat of a high thinking…

Invitation
Guests
Media
Event plan
Running sheets
Room setup
Champagne
Food
High tea
Fun
Fun

Only for it all to come crashing down the second I got home to realise how much work I had to do and how little time there really was.  With my mind working overtime, the settling thought was knowing that I didn’t need to worry; I know what I am doing.

Without even realising it I went into autopilot starting the procedure I needed to. It was at this stage I truly realised that Curtin and my degree have prepared me for my first step out into the real world and I have enough knowledge to really tackle this placement head on.

1 comment:

Jun said...

This is what life is all about and it is truly amazing that you did not panic and went in the wrong direction!
It seems that you truly are prepared and that Curtin has provided you with enough information to carry on this far. It has certainly helped me realize that everything can be accomplished if you set your mind to it and not give up.

Thank you!