So this is my second blog post about my internship at Crown Perth. Wow, what a ride it has been so far!
I'm into my fourth week at Crown (I do two days per week) and I'm constantly learning new things about public relations. Something that has really stuck with me is the importance of.... you guessed it....COMMUNICATION.
I have certainly valued being a member of Generation Y and growing up with technology. The amount of programs used for communication at Crown is intense. I have now successfully been taught to use Web Publisher, InDesign, Paint Shop Pro, iTrak and so many more!
With this I have been able to contribute to in house promotions, managing customer complaints, creating back of house artwork and updating the intranet with staff alerts.
As I said in my previous blog, internal communication at Crown is very important. Today, I was responsible for putting together the 'Friday Update' which is the weekly newsletter distributed to the 6100 staff members. It was my job to gather all the relevant information from department heads, write relevant copy, format it accordingly and distribute to staff. I got this done way before deadline and will now be responsible for this task every week....eek!
I also had a taste of drafting my first internal and external communications plan for an upcoming campaign. My job was to help identify goals, objectives, current issues, key messages to be communicated to media and what needed to be controlled. It was great being able to put together a plan that would actually be implemented! This was an area I found my degree really helpful. With the amount of experience I have had over the course of two and a half years I felt prepared and ready for the task ahead.
I'm excited to see what else is around the corner at Crown Perth and will keep you posted!
3 comments:
Hi Carly,
Your placement is exactly what I would like to be doing in the future so it is very interesting hearing what you have been getting up to.
I 100 percent agree with you about how lucky we are to have grown up surrounded by technology. At my placement I have been asked to do so many things using somewhat complex programs that without that technological knowledge I wouldn't be able to grasp.
You mentioned sending your communications out to over 6000 staff. That must be very daunting! I have been producing a lot of communication material such as editorial, direct mail and website content and I get a little bit nervous publishing it as I know it will be read by so many people. I always think what if it is wrong? or what if i read it back later and I could have written it so much better and now everyone has seen it.
Anyway thank you for providing me with an insight into the hospitality industry, it sounds so exciting, hopefully I can get into there one day!
Stacie
Hi Carly,
I work in Marketing at the Rendezvous Grand Hotel in Scarborough, they have just rebranded to being a "Grand Hotel". I am in charge of a lot of the internal communication and it is such an important part of the PR department! So many people think that it is only important to communicate with the external publics, but making sure that all of your staff are on the same page and know the direction of the organisation is of utmost importance; because at the end of the day, they are the face of the Brand!
I completely understand what you're saying about being tech-friendly. I have had to learn how to use a program called InDesign so that I can create the monthly newsletter for all the guest rooms! It was a challenge at first but because our generation is exposed to so many different technical devices everyday I managed to get my head around it.
Great that you managed to complete your task so well that it was given to you permanently, shows that they trust you! Have fun!
Tash
Hi Carly,
Interning at Crown sounds amazing, especially since they have so recently gone through the rebrand from Burswood to Crown.
During my internship I have definitely realised the importance of good internal communications and I think the 'Friday Update' is a great idea and its also fantastic to gain some more experience writing copy and editing even though its daunting.
I have been involved with sending out emails to over 6000 Curtin staff and several hundred students during my internship. I definitely agree, it can be super daunting to send out an email or newsletter to any number of people and the horror that you would feel if there was a spelling or grammar error!
Hope the rest of your internship goes well.
Katie
Post a Comment