Friday, August 9, 2013

Extraordinary Tourism Exchange 2013 - Proudly hosted by the Rendezvous! 


This week was definitely a crazy one! The Extraordinary Tourism Exchange event, the coming together of several major tourism organisations and representative officials to discuss progression of the Tourism industry in Australia, was hosted by the Hotel this week. I was given several tasks, all of which drew on my PR knowledge, especially PR Techniques!

Firstly I was given the task of organising styling for the cocktail reception and Gala dinner that the delegates had on both nights. I was given the specifications of the look they were going for and some idea of a budget. I sourced a stylist that I had worked with before and commissioned them for the Gala dinner, but for the cocktail reception I actually got to go and do a bit of buying! I was given some idea of what was wanted and then myself and one of the sales girls got to go and purchase items that would be perfect for the classy cocktail event that was happening that night. It was a definite rush and whilst it would have been so easy to go crazy and buy whatever we liked, I had to keep in mind the style of the Rendezvous Brand and the image we want people to perceive at our events. Both the cocktail and the dinner looked great!

I was then in charge of producing the customised menu for the Gala dinner. It was incredibly important that it showcased all of the other sponsors, including ATEC, Qantas, Tourism WA and Perth Airport. Their logos were to be displayed on all of the marketing merchandise. This gave me some insight into the intricacies of corporate sponsorship and partnerships.

Our CEO, Eric Teng, was making a speech at the Gala dinner, and so I was put in charge of making a background information sheet on all of the distinguished guests that were attending, including the Honourable Liza Harvey MLA, newly appointed Minister for Tourism, Police and Women's Interests! Several other great women were there too. I also had to put together Mr Teng's welcoming speech, and so the speechwriting course we did in Techniques really helped!

As ETE was trending on Twitter at the time, I was able to utilize hashtags to include the Hotel in the trend and gained some valuable tourism followers, such as the ATEC twitter account.

Altogether it was a great event and invaluable experience and I am so glad that I was able to be a part of it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Natasha,

It sounds like you're having an amazing time at your internship!

I can just imagine the adrenaline rush of running around to ensure the cocktail reception looked spectacular and in tune with the Rendezvous brand.

Can I ask what it was like to see the event trending on Twitter?

It's great to hear that our learning at Curtin University is already being applied in the workplace.

Also, it was very interesting to read about the significance of corporate sponsorships and partnerships and how they fit into the scheme of things.

I look forward to reading more about your exciting events in your upcoming blogs.

Ashleigh.