Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Beginning a PR Internship: Nerves & Excitement

Well, where do I start …

My name is Rachel Shortte and my internship placement is at the City of Perth.

Before I commenced my internship, I was filled with all sorts of emotions; excitement, nerves and I was unsure what to expect, which I am sure almost everyone else experienced as well. I conducted some research into Public Relations internships by looking over past blog entries and academic journals. The research reassured me that undertaking an internship would assist to build confidence and gain practical experience, “through internship experiences, students become more independent, ambitious, and focused” (Daugherty 2011, 470).

Daugherty (2011) mentions that some of the main aims for Public Relations interns, which I concur with, are to; acquire skills, develop a richer understanding for the specialisation area, gain real life experience and proactively seek future benefits; including job opportunities and the establishment of a portfolio. I thoroughly recommend that other students take the time to read the article – ‘The Public Relations Internship Experience: A Comparison of Student and Site Supervisor Perspectives’. The article gives an insightful overview of the Public Relations internship experience from the perspectives of students and supervisors.
I began my internship in mid-August, and so far it has been an incredible experience (on my first day I even got to meet Lisa Scaffidi!). Each day of my internship there has been an abundance of opportunities for me to learn and develop my Public Relations skills. Everyone within the City of Perth that I have come into contact with is welcoming, supportive and genuinely lovely people, especially the Public Relations & Communication Team.
Although only having been in my internship for a few days, I can most certainly understand the importance of undertaking both theoretical study at university and applying the theory learnt in an internship placement. Internships enable students to put what they have learnt into practice and to shape their knowledge into a practical sense.


Until next time, keep enjoying your placements!
Rachel
(Written: 31st August 2013)
 
Reference:
Daugherty, Emma L. 2011. “The Public Relations Internship Experience: A Comparison of Student and Site Supervisor Perspectives.” Public Relations Review 37 (5): 470 – 477. doi:10.1016/j.pubrev.2011.09.010.

No comments: