Sunday was the culmination of months of hard work at Spyn. The BGC Family Fun Day has been at the forefront of the going's on for Nicki and myself.
The prospected number of guests was 6,000 however the numbers reached only 4,000. Even so, it didn't make it any less busy or exciting.
This was it. It was finally time to see all the plans and all of the ideas actually come to life. There were a few ups and downs along the way including some interesting phone calls from potential guests ("Can I bring my dog?", for example).
The day proved to be a real success. I arrived just after nine and all of the rides, food stalls and entertainment was already set up. It was similar to something you would see in the days preceding the Royal Show.
The gates were set to open at 10.30 and every minute closer to that meant we were moving around faster and faster to make sure all the last minute checks were done and everything was perfect. And it was. As soon as 10.30 hit people started flooding in and within 15 minutes Ascot was packed. It took just over half an hour but soon the line at the gate was non-existent and everyone was inside.
For myself - after helping ease the pressure at the gate - the day was spent checking with the staff at food outlets and rides to make sure they were all happy with how things were going and to make sure they had everything they needed and otherwise just walking around making sure that everything was in order and running smoothly.
There was only one aspect of the day that could have been improved and that is with the admission of people though the gate. It took just over half an hour to ensure that there was no longer a line at the main gate and I believe this could have been avoided if instead of concentrating all efforts on that one gate, another could have been opened to ease the pressure and hopefully get everyone in a little faster.
However, aside from this everything went perfectly. Before I knew it, it was 2.30 and we were packing up banners and flags and everyone was pulling down their equipment. And just like that it was over.
It was about 6 months in the making, if not more, and it was over within 4 hours. That is the one thing to get used to when working in events. You put all of your time into a certain event to make it absolutely perfect, and it's over before you know it.
The adrenaline rush throughout the day was fantastic and it helped me realise that this I really what I want to be doing. I still can't thank Nicki enough for letting me help out and be a part of the day because it was such a major operation and such an important event.
1 comment:
That sounds like a fun and busy day! I certainly know how it feels when your months of planning is over within a few hours. I experienced the same at my internship. I guess it's important to think of the months of benefits that will follow after the event for the company.
Post a Comment