Wednesday, September 4, 2013

First Quarter: Off to a flyer

Hey Bloggers,


On the 14th of August, I began my internship at the SportXchange project.

SportXchange was set up by the local government and the West Australian Sporting Federation. Some of the aims include; helping out all the other sporting bodies in WA with gaining publicity, sponsorship, and providing them with volunteers etc. Our organisation aims to help other sporting bodies as Netball Wa, Football West, Basketballs WA, WACA etc.

So far, I have mainly been tasked at looking at their content analysis.
This includes when I get into the office on a Wednesday or Thursday morning, I open all the emails we have received, and put up relevant stories on the website or on social media.  Most of the posts I put up on twitter for example, are posts aiming to help out other sporting bodies, including using social media in a business, and general tips, at getting more publicity.
Some of the tweets I posted


I am mainly looking forward to also contributing to the WASF Sports Star of the Year. Every year, one West Australian sportsman/sportswomen is chosen as the best in the state.  I am looking forward to using my journalism and public relations skills, to work on this event.


The main lessons I have learned so far is speed and accuracy. As out website gets over 40 views a day, and we have over 170 twitter followers, it is important all the posts we send out are accurate and relevant.

I have also started doing some blog posts. Today I did a blog on Twitter. As some of the sporting bodies have never used twitter and  are not familiar with it, i wrote a blog on how it works e.g what a hashtag is etc. This may sound kind of basic to us, but to those who struggle with technology and don't understand how it can be helpful, its all new to them. They are yet to be posted, but we have already been told they will be helpful by Motorcycling WA.

I am looking forward to networking with others in the future, and the launch of the Sports Star of the Year award.

Cheers,

Francis Curro


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Francis,

Sounds like you're thoroughly enjoying your internship at SportXchange.

I definitely agree with you on the topic of speed and accuracy being crucial when it comes to social media. I can relate to this, as I also do a lot of social media managing at my internship. I also believe that transparency is key to effective social media networking. Have you come across any sticky situations on social media in your time at SportXchange?

I would love to hear how you come up with some of your inspiration or ideas for posts and blogs. This is something that challenges me everyday, especially as my internship is at a consultancy, therefore my topics and industry changes drastically from client to client.

I wish you the best of luck for the rest of your internship!

Rachel Chandler